Bird is a shared electric scooter company.
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Bird is hiring a Sr. Public Policy & Public Affairs Associate to join the Government Partnerships team, reporting to the Head of Public Policy for Northern Europe, with a dotted line into Bird’s PR organization. A successful candidate in this role will help solve regulatory challenges related to entering and operating in multiple locations throughout Norway and Sweden (Nordics) by developing a foundation for Bird to work in partnership with city and community stakeholders. The Sr. Public Policy and Affairs Associate will also lead public affairs in the region, helping to ensure that Bird’s messaging is clear and consistent across all markets, while tailored to the needs of the specific market.
- Facilitate the suitable national and local regulatory framework for Bird to operate in the market, working in partnership with their manager and the regional General Manager
- Introduce Bird to new markets; navigate local, state and national regulatory structures; respond to and mitigate local concerns as they arise; develop positive working relationships with government and community stakeholders as well as support communications around expansions, manage press opportunities and campaigns in our existing ones.
- Identify and address local concerns; manage and represent Bird in any regulatory processes required, such as testifying at legislative hearings; negotiate with elected officials, agency regulators and other stakeholders; and otherwise advocate for Bird to achieve favorable operating conditions as needed
- Work with other Policy / Government Partnerships directors and with other departments, including Operations, Legal and Marketing and with external consultants
- Support the EMEA comms team in developing and advancing the organization’s communications and PR strategies while ensuring completion of projects.
- Own media opportunities from start to finish, including the pitching of press, booking of press tours, management of press calls, providing onsite event support, and identification and cultivation of leading media targets.
- Contribute to Bird’s speaking and awards programming by identifying, recommending and securing speaking and award opportunities and events for Bird spokespeople.
- Manage content development and creation, including drafting media outreach materials, editorial briefs, talking points, op-eds, speeches, presentations - and will work with the General Manager / Launcher to prepare for media opportunities.
- Serve as the spokesperson and liaise with National, Regional and Local media.
- BA in political science, public policy, or law required, advanced degree preferred
- 4+ years experience working in government, lobbying, political communications, public relations, media relations (can be combined)
- Flexibility to travel as needed and to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Comfortable navigating bureaucracy, interacting with different stakeholders
- High level of organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Strong negotiating skills
- Be a flexible, creative thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions
- Passion for politics at the intersection to urban mobility and technology
- Thorough attention to detail when analysing regulatory language and parameters
- Fluent English, Norwegian and/or Swedish is a requirement
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.