With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing research team in translating genetic discoveries into insights into molecular biology of human traits and diseases.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
The Senior/Principal Scientist, Genomics R&D, will provide scientific expertise on creating and using insights from human genetic data for various applications, including therapeutic target discovery, phenotype prediction, and other related areas. You will lead cross-functional scientific projects, advise others in your field of expertise, and help provide strategic direction for the Research Team at 23andMe.
Who you are
You must have a deep understanding of statistical and/or population genetics, with a significant track record of scientific achievement that includes multiple years of experience leading development and implementation of novel methods and bioinformatics tools and executing independently developed ideas. These achievements should demonstrate your ability to balance scientific rigor with a pragmatic commitment to getting things done in the face of multiple competing priorities. You will also have a track record of collaboration with scientific thought leaders, and be expected to take an active role in engaging with external academic and industry scientists and organizations in the field.
Our team is very collaborative, and the ability to communicate ideas and results to other scientists and non-scientists in the context of business objectives is key. You should have a demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively communicate with a wide range of internal and external audiences, as well as experience building, mentoring, and leading teams of scientists.
Senior or principal leveling will depend on experience.
What you’ll bring
- Scientific Expertise
- PhD in Statistics, Statistical Genetics, Population Genetics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or related field with at least ten years of experience post-PhD.
- Strong record of accomplishment, either through academic publications or successful industry achievements.
- Deep expertise in human statistical genetics, experience in biopharmaceutical applications strongly recommended.
- Ability to work with senior scientific leadership to help represent the company at appropriate scientific, business, and other professional meetings.
- Deep expertise in design of experiments and analysis of complex data.
- Proven ability to mentor, train, and develop junior scientists.
- Ability to lead directly and by influence, including strong problem solving, conflict resolution, and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
- Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Biology South San Francisco, CA, US
- Director, Immunology Research South San Francisco, CA, US
- Legal Intern (Remote) Sunnyvale, CA, US
- Translational Associate Researcher/Associate Scientist South San Francisco, CA, US