Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
San Francisco, CA, US
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, including three of the world’s leaders of self-driving technology, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it. We are searching for a Site Reliability Engineers to develop, maintain and operate the software infrastructure for our vehicle fleet. This role is very similar to an SRE, but with fleets of vehicles rather than data centers.
- Automate vehicle infrastructure tasks to ensure scalable operation of autonomous vehicles: software deployment, system configuration, autonomous data collection, data offload, and more.
- Develop systems for monitoring vehicle fleet and recording detailed vehicle health information.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose issues in the field (hardware or software); propose and implement solutions to ensure they do not happen again.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience in Python and C++ programming. Expertise in other languages welcome.
- Experience in Linux software development
- Able to troubleshoot complex systems in the field
- Prior experience in an SRE/VRE role
- Experience with sensor hardware: cameras, radar, lidar, GPS, etc.
- Experience in Bazel
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering self-driving will improve lives around the world, expanding access to transportation, revitalizing cities, giving people more time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.