23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an exceptional, highly-motivated Associate or Sr. Associate Scientist to contribute to a collaborative, cross-functional research team responsible for expression, purification and biochemical/biophysical characterization of antibodies and diverse protein targets.
In-depth technical expertise with recombinant protein expression, purification and characterization is required. Successful candidates will also be independent and creative researchers, capable of experimental design, execution and troubleshooting.
What you’ll do
- Help manage the production of mammalian proteins and antibodies to support therapeutic development programs, from construct generation through purification and biophysical/analytical characterization
- Interface and collaborate closely with other functional groups (Analytics, Antibody Engineering, and Biology)
- Consult with project leads to manage and prioritize protein reagent requirements for multiple projects
- Utilize mammalian (HEK293 & CHO), insect (Baculovirus) and bacterial (E.coli) transient expression systems for protein production
- Perform protein purification using a broad variety of chromatographic methods utilizing FPLC/AKTA systems
- Produce, engineer, label and/or optimize protein reagents for use in biochemical and functional screening assays
- Manage CRO workflows and progress on protein expression/purification related projects
- Generate, analyze, document and communicate high quality data
What you’ll bring
- Master's (+ min of 3 years' relevant experience) or PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related field
- A successful record in optimizing all aspects of mammalian protein production
- Excellent working knowledge of protein expression and purification techniques, protein structure and stability
- Experience with and knowledge of molecular biology techniques such as PCR, cloning, and mutagenesis
- Excellent organizational and communication skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team environment
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience
- Experience with refolding proteins from E. coli inclusion bodies
- Prior work experience in an antibody development setting
- Prior experience in providing protein production support for a structural biology group
Note: Job title and level will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
- Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Biology South San Francisco, CA, US
- Director, Immunology Research South San Francisco, CA, US
- Legal Intern (Remote) Sunnyvale, CA, US
- Translational Associate Researcher/Associate Scientist South San Francisco, CA, US