Carousell is a consumer-to-consumer mobile marketplace.
Carousell is a classifieds marketplace that makes selling as easy as taking a photo, buying as simple as chatting. Launched in August 2012, Carousell began in Singapore and is now one of the world's largest and fastest growing marketplaces. We have market presence in eight markets (Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan, Myanmar, and Vietnam) and three technology development centres in Singapore, Taiwan and India.
Carousell is backed by leading investors, including Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver, and Sequoia Capital. The Carousell marketplace has a diverse range of products across a variety of categories, including cars, lifestyle, gadgets and fashion accessories. As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell.
Carousell’s product team leads this exciting mission by redefining what online classifieds can be - smart, convenient and community-focused. We constantly look at data and talk to our users to understand what they’re doing, thinking and feeling along their user journey and empathise with their needs. This user-centric approach guides us in crafting the best user experiences.
Trust is the foundation of a C2C marketplace like Carousell. It both gives confidence to buyers and sellers to connect and transact with complete strangers, and serves as the largest obstacle to those who don’t. Creating an environment of Trust is not easy. It requires a deep understanding of user behaviour and psychology, vision on how to use technology to prevent bad behaviour and reward good, and perseverance to continue innovating to keep pace with ever changing attitudes, trends and behaviours of marketplace users.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Product Manager to join us in Bangalore or Singapore on this exciting journey. You will partner with a talented team of Software Engineers, Designers, Data Scientists and Analysts, other Product managers, and have ownership of Trust at Carousell. You will be responsible for automated user and content moderation, fraud prevention, account verification, Marketplace Experience and Customer Support systems, user reviews and badges, and influencing user behaviour to improve trustworthiness.
- Define strategy and vision for Trust, working with other PMs and business stakeholders, such as Marketing, Marketplace Operations and Partner programs
- Combine usage data, market and user research, and industry best practises to understand the domain deeply and identify user problems and breakthrough opportunities
- Lead product discovery with designers, engineers and business stakeholders to identify and solve for user value, usability, technical and business risks
- Transform user problems into validated solutions using technology, data science and analytics, support processes and marketplace policies
- Ruthlessly prioritize, drive stakeholder alignment, proactively manage risks & dependencies
- Work closely with software engineers to ensure the technical solutions are well prioritized and delivered on time
- Drive product launches, partnering with business stakeholders to prepare high quality training plans, branding and marketing materials, and user communication
- Measure impact of initiatives, decide and communicate success or failure, identify key learnings and integrate them in overall user, product & feature understanding
- User obsession and empathy
- Drive and resourcefulness to persevere and overcome obstacles achieving challenging goals
- Focus on impact and results. You work on the right things and get them done
- Strong product and business judgement. Willingness and ability to take smart risks and fail forward
- Track record of successfully solving complex and ambiguous problems
- High integrity and ability to positively collaborate with others
- Ability to think, speak and write succinctly and clearly
- Analytical skills to understand & generate insights from user data. Fluency querying and working with data
- Familiarity with Agile development process and Rapid product development techniques, such as Design sprints, Story mapping and others
- 7+ years of industry experience, including 5+ years of Product Management experience, preferably in a customer/user facing organization
- Bachelor’s degree, with strong academic record, in Computer Science or a related field such as Math, Physics, Engineering, Finance, Economics, or Business Administration. Masters preferred
Good to have:
- Experience working on marketplaces, particularly in the area of trust and safety