Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
San Francisco, CA, US
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. This candidate will help build one of the world’s great next generation companies and will have the opportunity to shape the future of in-house employment and immigration law at Aurora. Ideally, this candidate will be an employment law star at a firm or in-house, and will work quickly to build trust and credibility within the company, apply a keen understanding of the law, and operate independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Partner closely with teams across Aurora to evaluate legal risks and provide deep subject matter knowledge across multiple jurisdictions and offices
- Provide strategic legal advice concerning a wide range of labor and employment issues to business teams across Aurora
- Manage employment-related disputes, including supervising outside counsel
- Work with Aurora’s immigration team and advise on immigration-related matters
- Work with Aurora’s people operations, recruiting, compliance, and policy teams, to develop and drive employment and immigration legal strategies and processes for Aurora
- Draft employment-related legal documents, including agreements, policies, form documents, and guidelines
- Negotiate on behalf of Aurora
- Work with Aurora’s people operations team to ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations
- JD from a top school and state bar membership, California bar strongly preferred
- Minimum 8 years of substantive labor and employment experience in a top firm or as part of an in-house legal team
- Deep experience with legal issues related to recruiting, hiring, employee relations, employee classification, leaves of absence, compensation and benefits, and other employment-related matters, and several years of experience with California employment laws related to the same.
- Experience with managing employment litigation, preferably in-house, and experience handling employment matters before federal and state courts and administrative agencies
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many new challenges; make informed and thoughtful decisions quickly and act accordingly; a good sense of humor; and a keen aptitude for problem-solving
- Proven ability to build solid, trusting and credible relationships
- Excellent writing, communication, and people skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Experience in a high growth startup with incredible technology
- Experience with state and national driver employment regulations, including those regarding background checks and drug testing
- Experience managing attorneys
- Experience building up scalable and efficient internal processes for managing employment-related issues
- Dazzled by self-driving cars
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.