Carousell is a consumer-to-consumer mobile marketplace.
Carousell is a classifieds marketplace that makes selling as easy as taking a photo, buying as simple as chatting. Launched in August 2012, Carousell began in Singapore and is now one of the world's largest and fastest growing marketplaces. We have market presence in eight markets (Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan, Myanmar, and Vietnam) and three technology development centres in Singapore, Taiwan and India.
Carousell is backed by leading investors, including Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver, and Sequoia Capital. The Carousell marketplace has a diverse range of products across a variety of categories, including cars, lifestyle, gadgets and fashion accessories. As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell.
The Legal, Compliance & Ethics and Government Affairs team is responsible for all legal and compliance aspects of Carousell's operations across all countries where Carousell has a local presence including Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Myanmar and Vietnam. This role will be a regional role covering all markets.
Do you want your work to impact product features and services used by millions? Are you highly motivated, creative and passionate about law and technology? If so, then Carousell’s legal team is looking for you!
This role will report to the Legal Director.
- Partner with stakeholders to implement global compliance & ethics policies, to inculcate a compliance culture
- Work cross-functionally across the business to understand the processes, risks and opportunities for improvement and develop compliance and understanding of laws
- Be responsible for supporting the Company’s regulatory and government activities in the region, including assisting with the development of overall strategy and management of relationships with regulators
- Manage the Company’s regulatory submissions and filings and support periodic stakeholder management and internal reporting on regulatory requirements
- Review company policies and practices on a regular basis to ensure that all are in compliance with relevant laws (including prohibited items)
- Participate in and support in monitoring, reporting and influencing the regulatory environment on a wide spectrum of issues, including consumer protection, data security, protection and privacy, and anti-money laundering
- Assist in the evaluation of business proposals for regulatory compliance
- Support government relations outreach to legislators and regulatory agencies, including advising on applicable political law-related requirements
- Support the Company’s efforts to reduce regulatory obstacles to the Company’s ability to develop and support our core and emerging products and capabilities and maintain our ongoing freedom to operate.
- Assist in the development of short and long term strategies to manage regulatory challenges
- Develop and implement employee training plans
- Provide multi-jurisdictional corporate secretarial oversight
- Common law qualified lawyer
- At least 5 years PQE, with relevant experience in top-tier law firms and/or in-house legal departments, including at least three years of experience as regional (preferably APAC) regulatory counsel in corporate, government or law firm environment, with experience in legislative and regulatory engagement - you need to be able understand the law but more importantly how to practically and commercially apply it, while understanding the regulatory expectations in a market
- The ability to demonstrate initiative and practice good judgment when advising on, and building, a practical compliance framework, across different markets
- Experience in fast-evolving and dynamic industries like e-commerce, with legal experience in regulatory, TMT, IP, data privacy, M&A, and consumer protection related issues
- Able to work independently and in a team, with initiative to seek guidance as necessary
- Willingness and enthusiasm to learn and grow with the business
- A particular interest and broad knowledge of e-commerce, consumer technology, convenience and shipping
- Our users at heart