Intelligence Processing Unit
Founded just over four years ago, Graphcore's growth and impact has been little short of staggering. We have created a completely new processor, the Intelligence Processing Unit (IPU), specifically designed for artificial intelligence. The IPU’s unique architecture means developers can run current machine learning models orders of magnitude faster. More importantly, it lets AI researchers undertake entirely new types of work, not possible using current technologies, to drive the next great breakthroughs in general machine intelligence.
Our team is at the forefront of the artificial intelligence revolution, enabling innovators from all industries and sectors to expand human potential with technology.
What we do really makes a difference.
What you’ll be doing
Graphcloud is designed to provide a managed service to allow developers and customers of Graphcore IPU technology. By working with partners we provide infrastructure that can be used for both early engagement and training on the use of IPU along with a platform that can support running machine learning services. By combining Graphcore systems and software into an easy to use and accessible environment we make our technology available to users around the work.
Graphcloud is built on top of Graphcores hardware systems and software technology contained within the Poplar SDK. By combining these with standardised container runtimes and virtual machine environments we enable seamless access to IPU without requiring on premise systems.
As our Director of Graphcloud Software, you will play a critical role in the continued growth of Graphcore and help to driver the accessibility of our hardware and software platforms as the user base continues to grow. Particular focus will be on enabling new users and putting in place systems and software that allow services to be built on top of Graphcloud. Reporting into the SVP of Software, you will hold responsibility for developing our software packages and infrastructure to take the Poplar SDK and applications and make them accessible to a wider audience. This will include the management of the front end user facing interface, the services and virtualization of IPU and the entry point for tutorials and examples for new Graphcore developers. By working closely with the Software organisation and our partners this role will build upon the technology already available today.
Other responsibilities include:
- Develop a deep understanding of all of the core hardware and software technology Graphcore builds and how it is used from top to bottom of the software stack
- Be an externally facing technical advocate for Graphcore at events and conferences
- Understand and own the engineering of the user facing interface, application and deployment software stack for IPU in Graphcloud
- Work with the product, marketing and engineering organization to prioritise and plan the roadmap and schedule for Graphcloud and associated products
- Lead and build a Graphcloud software engineering team to scale IPU access to 1000s of users built on top of IPU technology
- Be the technical lead for virtualization of Graphcore hardware and the deliver of Graphcore software and application via container systems such as docker
- Work with our partners and 3rd parties to ensure that schedules and deliveries of new features and functionality are well managed
- Understand how Graphcore products can be deployed within job scheduling runtimes such as Kubernetes and Slurm
- Work closely with the infrastructure and QA organisations to ensure that product delivery and releases are fully tested
- Help make Graphcores software products easier to use and more accessible to large numbers of developers
What you’ll bring
You will have demonstrable experience of leading teams supporting highly technical software products, this role requires a background in using, maintaining and developing cloud based systems along with experience of using virtual machines and container based systems for deployment. Machine learning experience is a big plus but not absolutely necessary. It goes without saying that you will have high levels of credibility and the ability to influence and build strong relationships with senior stakeholders. Most importantly you will be responsible for helping scale the users of Graphcore technology.
As well as the above, you will also bring the following skills and experience:
- Degree or higher in CS, EE, or equivalent technical experience
- Good technical understanding of cloud based systems and application deployment
- Excellent understanding of modern deployment methodologies using virtual machine, container and scheduling technologies
- Experience in building customer facing developer portals and interactive systems for managing machine resources for developers
- Strong track record in software development and delivery of software products along with supporting released products in the field
- Excellent understanding of the full software lifecycle and experience of managing and setting priorities for development activities
- Experience building and leading teams of highly technical professionals
- Ability to understand complex technical issues, related business challenges, and work with others to develop strategies to effectively address them
- Excellent communications and presentation skills to technical and executive-level audiences, ability to tailor information for the target audience
- Motivated, dynamic, creative self-starter, able to generate solutions and promote them to highly technical teams
We welcome people of different backgrounds and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive work environment that makes Graphcore a great home for everyone. We are an equal opportunity employer and want to build a work environment where everyone is happy, productive and respectful so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, just let us know.