Planning platform for public transit
Senior Backend Engineer, Data Platform
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Remix is on a mission to improve the way cities are shaped, working with more than 350+ local governments worldwide to rethink the way they plan and envision their city.
Urban infrastructure impacts everything from economic mobility to CO2 emissions, and our platform empowers local governments with data and tools to transform their transit and reshape streets to better serve their community; this is particularly meaningful to us since the zip code you're born into is one of the strongest predictors of lifetime upward mobility.
About this role
Remix is building the platform on which cities design their transportation infrastructure. As part of this mission, we’re empowering cities to look at real data about city infrastructure, demographics, and movement (everything from scooter trip patterns to historical speeds for buses). We’re becoming a central hub for transportation data, and we’re looking for people who are excited to help us forge the future of data in transportation.
As a backend engineer at Remix, you’ll be responsible for building and scaling the systems that ingest and process our data, developing internal and external data APIs, and working collaboratively with our data visualization team to automate data integrations.
At Remix we work in small, collaborative teams and engineers often touch many different parts of our systems. We value deeply understanding the needs of the customer, and you’ll work closely with product managers and even our users at cities to understand the best way to provide value in their workflows.
You’re a good fit if:
- You have real world experience building and running systems involving one of the following: Airflow (or other data pipeline infrastructure), Postgres, or PostGIS (or other geospatial tooling)
- You enjoy owning mission critical projects from inception to production
- You love sharing and communicating your work to other engineers
You’ll be responsible for:
- Building out our data platform including data storage, APIs, and pipelines
- Collaborating with the data visualization team to product-ize data integrations
- Teaching skills and best practices
- Developing new processes around ops
Nice to have, but not required:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with Python and Pandas
- Experience working with AWS and Terraform
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Energy Impact Partners, and YC, Remix is scaling in order to serve the growing transportation technology needs of cities around the world. For more on our engineering values, look here. Read more about how our work is impacting customers here: https://remix.com/blog
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.