Carousell is a consumer-to-consumer mobile marketplace.
Carousell is a classifieds marketplace that makes selling as easy as taking a photo, buying as simple as chatting. Launched in August 2012, Carousell began in Singapore and is now one of the world's largest and fastest growing marketplaces. We have market presence in eight markets (Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan, Myanmar, and Vietnam) and three technology development centres in Singapore, Taiwan and India.
Carousell is backed by leading investors, including Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver, and Sequoia Capital. The Carousell marketplace has a diverse range of products across a variety of categories, including cars, lifestyle, gadgets and fashion accessories. As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell. This role reports to the Carousell CEO.
As the Country Head, you are the Business Unit leader. You will own the P&L of the country and are accountable for strategizing, executing and achieving the growth and profitability goals of the country. You will be operating in a matrix organisation with a large regional functional set-up. You will directly lead the sales team and work collaboratively through influence, with marketing, product and operations to create value and deliver a delightful experience for the users in Hong Kong.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and proven business leader from a marketplace (classifieds or e-commerce background) who works from first principles and operates in a hands-on manner with an input-driver mindset to grow businesses by 10x. Our dream candidate needs to have strong geographical experience in Hong Kong, deep experience in sales & partnerships, a breadth of understanding across a marketplace business as well as exhibit a deep passion for people, both users and his teammates.
- Develop and execute of Hong Kong’s revenue and user growth’s strategy and plans, taking into account Carousell’s current user base, right-to-play, state of competition, and the macro external environment
- Own the P/L, and growth and revenue goals of Hong Kong. This includes monetisation of the core classifieds business across all categories in the marketplace and growing third-party advertising revenue alongside the MD of Carousell Media Group
- Develop future revenue streams through new business models that address the barriers to buying and selling
Directly lead, manage and coach a lean and efficient in country sales teams to deliver revenue goals and partner regional functions in a matrix organisation set up like Category Managers, Product, Finance (FP&A), Marketing, Sales Operations and other regional support operations to deliver country goals
- Be the official spokesperson for the company in the local market you operate and represent Carousell in the local media scene.
- A proven business leader. 10+ years of work experience delivering results, ideally in digital startup or startup-like environments and product-led organisations which leverage technology to solve problems at scale
A high-growth business scaler. Entrepreneurial experience in launching your own business or scaling. Experience building operations and launching products from scratch; And continue to stay scrappy and resourceful. Continue to think like owner and stay frugal
- A Get-things-done person. You roll up your sleeves and refuse to take no for an answer. You are cool in adapting to new approaches and ways-of-work
- A leader who can influence upwards. You have a good track record of managing, motivating and developing teams. You have thrived in a matrix organisation and can influence others to drive action without direct authority
- A critical thinker. Analytical mindset of understanding complex business problems, breaking it down piece by piece, and solving it systematically
- A Hong Kong expert. You have a deep understanding of the Hong Kong market, including consumers and competitors, and personally ‘get out of the building’ to speak with users to understand their needs and their problems
- A team player. You must enjoy collaborating with a wide range of functional teams to achieve a goal; And do so with informal authority. You pride yourself on motivating and developing people and teams to meet and exceed every goal they are charged with and you are proud of their achievements
- A person who thrives in ambiguity. Your super-power is problem solving and you tackle them using first principles thinking and systematically work through complex issues; you own the outcomes and make it happen
- A strong communicator verbally and written. You are able to articulate a vision, strategy or idea clearly and concisely so as to align stakeholders to work together positively and rolling towards a common goal
Pluses and bonus:
- Possess marketplace or e-commerce or any network effects businesses
- Have category management or strategy experience in Electronics, Luxury, Services, Autos or Property
- Savvy with the media and comfortable with PR
- Active Carousell users or 2nd hand seller and buyer
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.