Online, self-serve life insurance company.
Ethos is a new kind of life insurance built for people who don't have time for fine print, extra doctor's appointments or hidden fees. We have transformed a 15-week process of paper applications and medical exams into just the click of a button by quantifying the user’s health risk using predictive models.
Our investors include Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, GV, Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We were recently listed as one of the best places to work in 2021 by Built In, CNBC's 100 startups to look out for, and featured on Forbes for being one of Sequoia Capital's key investments. We are growing quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families.
Ethos is seeking a highly motivated Revenue Accounting Manager with Big 4 firm experience as well as public company or start-up experience. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with cross functional teams to fully understand Ethos’ insurance products working with our engineering, finance, accounting, and business analytics teams to implement new changes to our systems, processes, and controls.
About The Job
- Manage the review and approval of new product launches, pricing changes, growth agreements, ensuring appropriate recognition in accordance with ASC 606
- Prepare process flows, documentation, and workbooks for new products and business changes
- Assist with monthly close procedures for new launches and revenue changes to ensure timely and accurate closing of the books for internal and external reporting in accordance with U.S. GAAP and control requirements
- Coach and mentor senior accountants to support contract negotiation, contract reviews, and revenue accounting monthly close
- Develop accounting memos to ensure revenue recognition following company policy and revenue recognition accounting standards under ASC 606
- Review Senior Accountant’s close activities over complex accounting areas
- Advise business partners on developments in accounting and financial reporting, related company policies and the external regulatory environment
- Provide technical accounting and growth recognition advice to Sales and Commercial teams, influencing optimal agreement structures to minimize financial risk
- Continuously adapt and align the data reporting capture and settlement reconciliation with the introduction of new products, markets, vendors, and policies
- Participate in revenue accounting audit and assist with revenue financial disclosures
- Participate in special projects to review and improve control environment and drive efficiencies
- Developing revenue process rules and workflows while promoting a controls environment
- 5-8 years total revenue/accounting experience, including Big 4 audit experience with public company experience in the technology industry (preferred)
- Solid understanding of U.S. GAAP
- Expertise in ASC 606 and launching new products/business changes into accounting operations
- Self-starter and self-motivated to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading, coaching, and managing teams
- Organized, detail-oriented and deadline-driven
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and experience in working with stakeholders across all levels within cross-functional teams
- Strong Excel skills (V look ups, Pivot Tables) and ability to work with large data sets using SQL, Tableau, or other visualization software
- Education: B.A./B.S. in Accounting from an accredited college or university. CPA considered a plus
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.