Carousell is a consumer-to-consumer mobile marketplace.
Carousell Group is one of the world’s largest and fastest growing classifieds marketplace platforms across Southeast Asia, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Started in August 2012, Carousell Group began in Singapore and now has a leading presence in eight markets under the brands Carousell, Mudah, Chot Tot and OneKyat, serving tens of millions of monthly active users. Carousell Group is backed by Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver and Sequoia Capital.
Our Common Technology Foundation (CTF) group is responsible for cloud and native infrastructure, systems reliability and security, developer tools and experience, and foundation platforms such as messaging and service frameworks. CTF’s mission is to enable our product development teams to efficiently build and operate reliable, scalable, high quality and impactful products and systems across all 8 countries and 4 marketplaces of the Carousell Group. The CTF group is composed of geographically distributed teams in Singapore, Vietnam, India, Malaysia and Taiwan.
About The Role
We are looking for a strong, energetic, deeply technical leader, with a growth mindset to lead the CTF group and unify infrastructure and platforms for the combined Carousell Group.
As Head of Foundation Engineering you will partner with Group CTOs on strategy and vision for the Carousell’s group technical foundation, and lead the CTF teams in execution to achieve it. You will champion CTF’s mission by developing global scale platform products, driving the use of modern system software and developer productivity tooling, enhancing our cloud native infrastructure services, building quality into everything we do, and coaching global teams of high-performing platform engineers, SREs, DevOps and system engineers, and engineering managers. You will collaborate closely with Product Engineering and Product leaders across marketplaces to fully integrate solutions that delight our users and achieve business goals.
The role reports to CTOs of the group and can be based out of any of our main developer sites: Singapore, HCMC, Bangalore, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur.
- Own the technical strategic roadmap planning and execution for new common platform products and system architecture, including end-to-end implementation and integrations.
- Lead the development of our group’s software system architecture and infrastructure services to deliver a reliable, efficient, secure and developer friendly platform that enables high speed software development at scale.
- Ensure our global platform operates securely and efficiently 24x7 via a strong global Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) organization that builds highly automated, stable and scalable infrastructure.
- Contribute in senior product strategy planning as a champion of technology and quality engineering.
- Collaborate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders across geographical regions to define relevant must-win engineering battles in both CTF and other Sites.
- Own the engineering practices, raising the bar for the quality and speed of software delivery and operations.
- Set clear measurable goals for your engineers and engineering managers.
- Foster a culture of continuous growth improvement through coaching, mentoring, feedback and clear measurable outcomes.
- Attract, develop and retain great engineering talent, passionate about foundations engineering and serving internal and external users
You will have demonstrated:
Attitudes and Behaviours
- User obsession and empathy.
- Focus on impact and results. You work on the right things and get them done.
- Drive and resourcefulness to persevere and overcome obstacles achieving challenging goals.
- Exceptional technical judgement. Willingness and ability to take smart risks and fail forward.
- Ability and motivation to to roll up the sleeves and dive deep to help the team when needed.
- Track record of successfully solving complex and ambiguous problems.
- High integrity and ability to positively collaborate with others
- Ability to speak and write succinctly and clearly.
- 10+ years experience as a hands-on engineering senior leader, with strong experience in distributed software development
- A track record of developing and leading production platform teams via mentorship and coaching diverse, multi-cultural engineers and engineering managers.
- Deep knowledge of open source, cloud native software and distributed systems in various programming languages
- Strong CS foundation and practical experience with software development, architecture and design. Excellent knowledge of distributed system concepts, problems and solution patterns.
- Experience working with following software architectures, techniques and technologies: microservices, domain driven design, containerization, Kubernetes, Itsio, Prometheus, Kafka, RabbitMQ, Elastic Search, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, TimescaleDb, Nginx, Kong, on-premises virtualization infrastructure, cloud infrastructure using AWS and GCP.
- Business understanding and ability to manage a budget. Ability to identify, evaluate and convey the engineering and technology choices and trade offs.
- Bachelor’s degree, with a strong academic record, in Computer Science or Engineering, Masters preferred.