Glossier Inc. is building the future beauty company in collaboration with its customers.
Glossier's mission is to give voice through beauty. We are a direct-to-consumer company that leverages the power of personal narrative to own the beauty conversation on the internet. We do this by building products, growing our community, and making decisions in inclusive, customer-devoted, curious, courageous, and discerning ways.
At Glossier, we are establishing a team of talented engineers to build game-changing software for beauty commerce & community experiences online. We’re hiring talented and experienced engineers to join our growing and collaborative team to build the future of beauty e-commerce.
We are looking for an experienced, staff software engineer to architect and build scalable and performant experiences using engineering best practices. As a staff software engineer, you will mentor multiple teams of full-stack and front-end developers to create a team of UI/UX experts. You will play a significant role in shaping our software solutions that provide measurable customer value. You understand both technology and business to know the right tradeoffs to make. You will work closely with your peers, managers, product, design, and operations teams to create solutions that meet business requirements. You will collaborate with other engineers to surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices.
The Discovery team handles the top-of-funnel user engagement and works on the interactions that typically give first impressions to the customer through our homepage, product landing pages, product detail pages, etc. The key challenge for the Discovery team is to move from a monolithic architecture to microservices architecture while maintaining our SLAs. As an early member, you will influence what strategies/design patterns we will be using to make this change. Another key challenge for the Discovery team is scale. During our peak time (from Thanksgiving week to the end of the holiday season), we see almost 8x more traffic than usual. As an engineer of this team, you will be responsible to make sure we are able to serve all our customers without any disruptions during this time.
Six Month Expectations
- Become proficient in our environment and learn how our systems work together to support our public website
- Write new components using React, Redux, CSS Modules, GraphQL, and Typescript
- Work closely with product managers and designers to create useful and polished user experiences
- Review architecture & design proposals from engineering teams
Twelve+ Month Expectations
- Lead our teams in learning and adopting industry-leading front-end engineering best practices in performance, architecture, tooling, and accessibility
- Mentor a growing team of multidisciplinary engineers on FE standards and best-practices
- Be a flag-bearer of our diverse and inclusive culture
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience building customer-facing applications
- Experience in web technologies and frameworks like React, Redux, Angular, Vue, etc
- Experience working with progressive web applications, micro frontends, Node.js, working with microservices, CSS pre-processors
- Excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills, with an enthusiastic attitude to support and resolve customer problems
- Self-quick learner and passionate problem solver
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Experience working in an agile environment
Nice To Have Skills:
- Experience with large-scale SaaS applications
- SEO/SEM experience
- Prior experience technically leading projects
- Prior e-commerce experience
- Eye for a design
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.