Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. This candidate will be the first hire into the Risk and Insurance team and will have a unique opportunity to grow and help develop the market for insurance for self-driving vehicles.
Aurora is seeking to fill the position of Director, Business Risk and Insurance. The successful candidate will be a thought leader with a proven record of leading a team managing a diverse set of risks. The Director will support Aurora teams, partnering closely with many cross-functional stakeholders. The successful candidate will have had experience driving complex projects across multiple locations and functions. They need to be hands-on as well as strategic, able to manage daily operations while foreseeing and planning for the company's future needs.
- Formulate and manage Aurora's Business Risk and Insurance strategy. Design and implement a framework informing risk transfer and retention decisions.
- Evaluate a broad set of corporate risks, including auto, cyber, D&O, E&O, property, construction, casualty and employee benefits.
- Lead procurement of insurance as dictated by economics and business needs.
- Closely monitor and manage economic losses to the company and underwriters, incorporating this data into risk transfer frameworks.
- Lead claims management process by partnering closely with internal stakeholders, brokers, administrators and underwriters.
- Collaborate with product teams to evaluate risks and guide operations decisions.
- Build relationships with brokers and other participants in the insurance markets to develop their understanding of the risk profile of self-driving vehicles and provide Aurora with access to cost effective and innovative insurance structures
- Continually focus on process improvement and automation, increasing our ability to scale and leverage our team and infrastructure.
- Over time, lead, coach, and develop individuals within the Business Risk team.
- 12+ years experience in risk management and/or insurance brokerage or underwriting
- Bachelor's degree in finance or related discipline
- Knowledge and experience with insurance economics and underwriting business models
- Experience forming and operating a captive insurer, and experience with alternative risk transfer techniques
- Analytics and quantitative experience
- Experience with GAAP accounting topics in risk and insurance
- Management experience, with demonstrated track record leading and managing a team
- Experience building collaborative relationships with stakeholders from across the company and influencing them consistently without authority
- Experience communicating strategic issues with teams across the company
- Hands-on experience with various systems, tools, and analyses in an individual contributor capacity
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.