Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. This candidate will partner closely with senior leaders, data scientists, engineers, product managers, and designers to streamline and scale internal processes and tools to help us bring the Aurora Driver to market. You should feel comfortable performing a full range of product design skills including UX discovery, interaction & service design, visual design, and prototyping. You’ll gain a deep understanding of and advocate for the users who are leveraging data to track our progress and inform where we drive. You’ll help to define tools, services and workflows that enable data-driven decision making. We're excited to welcome you as a team member to deliver the benefits of self-driving to the world. This is a full-time position in our San Francisco or Pittsburgh office.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to research, brainstorm, and deliver the user experience for a suite of metrics products and services
- Design internal tools, services and workflows that enable our teams to track progress and inform where we drive
- Work with product managers to identify opportunities and define requirements, not just translate them to design
- Partner closely with engineers to understand technology capabilities, build your outstanding designs, and ship high quality products
- Translate complex systems into simple, elegant experiences
- Build wireframes, prototypes, and visual designs to tackle difficult UX problems
- Obsess over the details of the interaction, visual and motion design
- Partner closely with our UX research team to better understand the needs of our users
- Ship, measure, and improve the designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback
- Identify future opportunities, working as a key thought partner to your counterparts in product and engineering
- Collaborate and iterate with your design colleagues to help raise the bar
- Minimum of 4+ of product design experience
- Experience working on complex interactive systems or products.
- A portfolio of relevant product work showing your high quality, thoughtful UI and UX design
- Experience with Figma, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, or related digital design and prototyping software
- Experience leveraging qualitative and quantitative data to make informed design decisions Ability to work collaboratively with people from all disciplines and levels
- Experience translating insights from user studies into meaningful action
- Ability to generate detailed, interactive prototypes
- Ability to create an elegant visual design with thoughtful composition
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to stakeholders
- Comfort conducting stakeholder interviews and integrating findings into user journeys, concepts, and high-fidelity designs
- Proven ability to set up metrics for challenging and novel problems
- Proven ability to work with engineering teams to refine the user experience and build high-quality products
- Proven experience delivering end-to-end software products from concept to launch within a team environment
- Ability to travel 25% of time (post COVID).
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.