Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
As a Commercial Counsel at Aurora, you’ll help build one of the world’s great next generation companies. Your position will be essential to help Aurora grow its business, supply chain, and partnerships. Success in this position will require a keen understanding of commercial transactions, the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment, strong organizational skills, and a desire to rapidly learn and evolve.
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of agreements, including NDAs, hardware/software procurement contracts, supply chain agreements, license agreements, partnership, business development and other commercial agreements
- Work with business team to structure long-term, cross-border commercial relationships and collaborations
- Manage day-to-day commercial needs of the legal and business teams
- Advise on legal risks related to commercial transactions and contracts
- Drive the development of form agreements, legal processes, and templates to scale with the company as it grows
- Build positive relationships across the company and with its partners
- Work with a dynamic in-house legal team on a variety of issues, including working closely with team members on commercial agreements
- 3 plus years of law firm and in-house experience, focused on commercial contract, drafting and negotiation
- JD from a top school and state bar membership, and ability to practice as an in-house attorney in Pennsylvania
- Strong commercial background, including significant experience in drafting and negotiating multi-year and cross-border agreements related to complex technology
- Experience with both hardware and software-focused commercial agreements
- Experience negotiating with sophisticated and large counter-parties
- A proactive nature and "can-do" attitude; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many new challenges; a good sense of humor and positive outlook; a keen aptitude for problem-solving
- Proven ability to build solid, trusting, and credible relationships, including working closely with business teams
- Excellent writing, communication, and people skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple different and possibly competing priorities
- Sound business judgment
- You have automotive, manufacturing, and/or complex technology legal experience
- You are dazzled by self-driving cars
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.