Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We are searching for a Dispatcher based in Dallas, Texas. This person will work closely with a multidisciplinary team in operations, supporting initiatives around fleet optimization and efficiency. This role lives in vehicle operations working closely with representatives in the org and within Software and Hardware. This role is highly organized, mission driven, and possesses excellent communication with a complete understanding of risk analysis and management.
- Support the operations team during the daily management of dispatch, including mission prioritization and assignment, leading meetings, and communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance throughout the site to global process standards and work on continuous improvement initiatives.
- Be a support outlet for operations, and be able to respond and handle emergency situations with composure.
- Cultural and motivational leader - Be able to motivate a group of individuals to meet team and company goals.
- Initiate, commence, and complete side projects based on project needs and operational priorities.
- Ensure a safety first approach is being adopted by the team.
- Thoroughly understand how our self-driving technology works. Stay on top of countless daily changes, both big and small.
- Facilitate continuous process improvement. Lead the team to meet quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Drive efficiency gains, find opportunity to refine processes and maximize effort.
- Communicate clearly, efficiently, and regularly to operations leadership and any other stakeholders.
- Spend on average 15% of your time testing in the vehicle.
- Work as a team and ultimately win together.
- Strong communication, ability to prioritize, attention to detail, good judgement and taking initiative.
- Exceptional leadership skills.
- Safety first focus.
- Ability to make command decisions, lead by example, and motivate teams.
- Exceptional critical thinking.
- Willingness to always be learning and excited to learn every day.
- Ability to monitor alpha software on a laptop and type in a moving vehicle for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrate a growth mindset by coaching and mentoring colleagues to bring out the best from the team.
- Conflict management and resolution experience.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend work, not always planned far in advance. Up to 30% travel.
- Ability to work day or night shifts.
- 2+ years leadership experience with a proven record of success.
- BA/BS degree or high school diploma/GED with equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in operations, trucking, technology, robotics, or automotive field. Does not need to be direct industry experience.
- Passion & expertise for vehicles, vehicle maintenance, or vehicle technology.
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.