Glossier Inc. is building the future beauty company in collaboration with its customers.
Glossier is looking for a solutions orientated, forward-thinking, Research and Innovation (R&I) Manager to support the smooth operation of all R&I activities. This individual will leverage their knowledge in the scientific principles of chemistry to support the growing product portfolio, help streamline testing and scale-up processes. This individual should be nimble, adaptive, and comfortable in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multitask and take risks. The Manager will be part of a cross-functional team, with daily interactions with Supply Chain, Product Marketing & Development (PMD), Program Management, Quality, and third party labs to ensure that formulations adhere to Glossier’s formulating guidelines and product briefs.
Six Month Expectations
- Utilize expertise in formulating and scale-ups across broad categories of product (color, skincare, OTCs, fragrance ancillaries) to mitigate risks and support on-time product launches.
- Lead external raw material vendor relationships including researching materials, validating documentation, scheduling meetings, coordinating samples
- Meet with raw material vendors to help identify breakthrough actives/claims and exclusive development opportunities
- Participate in application lab activities to experiment with new materials, create formula modifications (reform and/or specific market updates), and to expedite/validate the TT process
- Partner with Product Marketing & Development to participate in ideation conversations for all development and provide technical support on all ingredients for the creation of the Product Development Dossier, PMO, and CX Q&A
- Recommend and analyze all formula testing parameters, including Stability, RIPT/Safety, PET/Micro, Efficacy (consumer claim, clinical), and Specifications
- Manage development and applicable testing on all formula shade extensions, tech transfers, and assigned NPD
- Troubleshoot stability/compatibility issues with 3rd party partners and Packaging and Commercialization teams
- Cultivate and maintain meaningful relationships with raw material vendors and formulating partners
- Maintain all R&I tracking documents/folders and PLM database for all projects with current and accurate information
- Up to 25% domestic and international travel to 3rd party formulating and manufacturing partners Participate in continuous education (conferences, meetings, Supplier’s Day)
Twelve+ Month Expectations
- Support CMs with suggested raw material additions, percentages, and processes to ensure formula performance, efficacy, safety, stability, and scalability
- Lead communication on the formulation process between Product Development, Marketing, Supply Chain and 3rd party partners.
- Partner with PD teams to evaluate all pilot and first production batches
- Utilize understanding of raw material sourcing, costs and lead-times to keep the pulse on value engineering opportunities
- Troubleshoot any formula issue and be able to lead the task-force to identify where the issue is coming from and advise on solutions
- Leverage in-depth experience managing development from inception, through testing, scale-up and manufacturing in order to support our 3rd party partners and create efficiencies
- Review and understand formula chemistry (characteristics) as paired with CM capabilities
- Audit and provide assessment of 3rd party labs and manufacturing facilities on capabilities, quality and reliability
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related field
- 5+ years of independent formula development experience in both skincare, color cosmetics and OTC products from ideation to finished good (shade work included)
- Experience in supporting scale-up
- Exceptional interpersonal verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with proven track record of viable solutions
- Experience working with and managing 3rd party partnerships
- Preferred experience with manufacturing and production across broad product categories and established relationships with domestic and international raw material suppliers and/or formulating partners
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.