Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
As a patent counsel at Aurora, you’ll help build one of the world’s great next generation companies. Your position will help manage and develop Aurora’s patent portfolio and will report to the Deputy General Counsel, Intellectual Property. Success in this position will require a keen understanding of intellectual property and technology, the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment, strong organizational skills, and a desire to rapidly learn and evolve.
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to identify and protect patentable technologies
- Help build and manage a world-class patent portfolio
- Work closely with outside counsel on patent prosecution matters
- Help evaluate and act on third-party patent matters, potential patent acquisitions, and licensing opportunities
- Support business objectives related to partnerships and suppliers
- Build positive relationships across the company and with its partners
- Advise and educate on patent matters
- JD from a top school and state bar membership, preferably California or Pennsylvania
- A background in engineering and/or automotive fields; a background in machine learning and robotics development preferred
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing patent attorney at a top firm or in-house legal department
- Experience managing a patent portfolio, including invention identification and patent harvesting, patent prosecution, and management of outside counsel
- Eligibility to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Experience in strategic patent portfolio development
- A proactive nature and "can-do" attitude; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many new challenges; a good sense of humor (even with patents); a keen aptitude for problem-solving
- Proven ability to build solid, trusting and credible relationships
- Excellent writing, communication, and people skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Experience in the in-house legal department of a high-growth startup with incredible technology
- Work experience as an engineer in high-tech or automotive fields
- Experience with open source
- Experience with IPFolio
- Dazzled by self-driving cars
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.