Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by what Bloomberg has called a “rock star cast” of self-driving luminaries and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. This individual will lead Aurora’s Payroll team providing a key service to Aurorans in our growing team and ensuring people are paid accurately and on time. The three main responsibilities in this role will be managing multi-jurisdictional payroll, 401k compliance and workers compensation insurance compliance. We also are looking for an awesome people manager who can lead and develop the Payroll team.
In this role, you will
- Lead the payroll team and act as the primary decision maker for the payroll process.
- Process bi-weekly, multi-state payroll for salary and hourly, full time and part time employees. Also process ad hoc payroll as necessary
- Act as primary contact with payroll software vendor(s) to maintain the payroll system, assist in resolving problems, and implement changes when necessary.
- Partner with People Operations and legal counsel to ensure all new hires and payroll related changes are properly accounted for within the payroll system.
- Be a resource to employees to provide them with an understanding of the payroll process as well as assisting with employee questions regarding pay.
- Manage statutory tax withholding requirements and ensure that all payroll taxes are calculated and paid on time. Manage tax agency tracers and ensure all payroll reporting for various tax jurisdictions are filed on time.
- Ensure accuracy and delivery of annual employee Federal Form W-2s and related state and local equivalents.
- Lead all payroll related audits, including 401(K) and workers’ compensation.
- Filing IRS Form 3921 for employees who exercise incentive stock options.
- Perform accounting/general ledger functions as it relates to payroll, including journal entries, accruals, account reconciliations and other month-end close functions.
- Research and understand applicability of any new rules, changes to the tax code or relevant legislation pertaining to payroll.
- Partner with People Operations for the annual benefits renewal and open enrollment process.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in payroll, ideally at a large and rapidly growing technology company.
- Proven ability to work independently in a time sensitive environment and as part of a team.
- Proven ability to lead and manage a payroll team, ideally distributed across the US
- Proven ability to solve complex problems independently and quickly
- Thorough understanding of federal, state and local tax laws, wage & hour laws, benefits, and 401k plans.
- Hands-on knowledge of California and Pennsylvania payroll related state and local tax laws
- Knowledge of multi-state pay related practices and local ordinances
- Proficient working with Workday Payroll
- Excellent communication and customer service skills to effectively work with all levels of employees as well as outside business partners and tax agencies.
- Experience in the payroll implications of equity plans (e.g. stock options, RSUs)
- International payroll experience
- System implementation experience is a plus, especially Workday Payroll
- Experience with NetSuite
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.