Attentive®️ is a personalized text messaging platform for innovative brands.
Engineering Manager - UI Platform
New York City, NY, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Attentive is a personalized text messaging platform changing the way consumers interact with businesses and organizations. The company is one of the fastest growing startups in New York City and recently raised a $470 million Series E investment led by Coatue in March 2021. Other investors in Attentive include Bain Capital Ventures, Sequoia, IVP.
We work with 3,000+ of the most innovative brands like Coach, Urban Outfitters, CB2, Pura Vida, Lulus, and Jack in the Box. Attentive was founded in 2016 by the co-founders of TapCommerce, a mobile marketing platform that was acquired by Twitter in 2014.
Currently capable of sending 10s of millions of messages per day and bursting to thousands per second, this team must continue to rapidly scale up our capabilities as our customer base grows. In addition, the team will be responsible for expanding our messaging capabilities into new areas (FB, WhatsApp, international, push notifications, etc).
This is a hands-on role where you are expected to balance people management, cross-functional leadership, and coding. You should be comfortable letting your tech leads take true ownership of projects while keeping enough of an eye on things to make sure the train stays on track.
You at Attentive:
- You will be an effective people manager who also has the capability to contribute as a highly technical hands-on infrastructure engineer when the need arises
- You have come up to a managerial role through UI or Frontend focused engineering
- You have a strong product head on your shoulders
- You have experience building scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Some knowledge of telephony and messaging products and APIs would be a plus though you can pick it up on the job if necessary
- You will hold your own in technical and business discussions with the product team and the rest of the engineering organization
- You can understand the business of your customers, identify problems or opportunities then address them using technology
- Partner with Product Management and Engineering to translate customer needs into a better overall product
- You will write simple yet elegant, readable, and well-documented code
- Can apply an entrepreneurial approach and passion to problem solving and building products
- Built and shipped complex software products
- Managed a high-performance team
Product Development at Attentive:
- Our backend is Java and Python microservices coupled with DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, MySql, Postgres, and Redis all hosted on AWS
- Our front end is built on current best practices leveraging Babel, Webpack, React, and Redux
- Our team is 200+ engineers, product managers, and designers from top tech companies including Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Moat, Oscar, and AppNexus
- We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation
- To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data-driven decision making
Benefits & Perks:
- Robust health benefits packages including access to a 401k and various medical, dental and vision plans, and $100/month fitness reimbursement
- Full support for remote work
- Daily lunch delivery credit and other goodies sent to home
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- Generous annual education stipend toward job-related external learning opportunities
- An extremely enthusiastic team that appreciates collaboration
Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re committed to diversity and maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. We’re committed to them because our core values demand it - values like Integrity First, Listening & Cultivating Discussion, and Default to Action. We believe in embracing “self” and that our true strength lies in the diversity of our employees. For this reason, applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any protected status under federal, state, or local law.