Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburg, CA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by what Bloomberg has called a “rock star cast” of self-driving luminaries and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
As a PM on the Driver Definition team, you’ll be at the forefront of making self-driving vehicles a reality. You will be responsible for delivering clear scope and definition for self-driving behavior and capabilities to meet our overall desired product experience and product strategy. This role will work across the autonomy stack with multiple engineering teams, such as Systems and Safety Engineering, Perception, Prediction, Motion Planning, and Hardware, and interface with other Product areas, such as Maps and Simulation, to ensure Autonomy capabilities can be delivered as well-rounded product features. In this role, you will also work cross-functionally with partners such as Product Strategy, Product Partners and Programs, Data Science, Policy, Legal, and Safety, to develop requirements for the autonomy system.
In this role, you will
- Work closely with engineering teams to build technologies that will address real problems and change the way people move and cities operate
- Develop product requirements for autonomy behaviors with a view towards rider experience, public perception, and overall safety
- In partnership with the Aurora Driver Integration team, Product teams and Autonomy engineering, develop a roadmap for capabilities and their prioritization
- Provide strategic and product perspective for everything autonomy engineering-related, from how the vehicles will behave and react to definition for machine learning models and classifiers
- Define success metrics for self-driving requirements and how they map into simulation and track testing
- Previous experience working in technical product management roles
- A passion to apply technology and data to change how humanity moves and make the world a better place
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to think outside of the box - we’re building technology for a world that doesn’t exist yet
- Ability to build credibility and strong relationships with engineering counterparts and jump into things directly
- Strong customer empathy and relentless truth-seeking
- Strong communication and partnership skills - this will be an extremely cross-functional role, with stakeholder teams spanning multiple offices
- True passion for Aurora’s mission and the company’s Product Vision, values and culture
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn
- Technical background in CS, robotics, machine learning, human computer interaction or related experience
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.