Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburg, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by what Bloomberg has called a “rock star cast” of self-driving luminaries and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Software Engineer for our Perception Infrastructure team. This candidate will own the infrastructure for Perception evaluation data pipelines, design, build and maintain tools for evaluating Perception outputs in an efficient manner.
Perception Scenarios team is responsible for evaluating Perception outputs with a focus on targeted scenarios, verifying that it satisfies the requirements by the downstream components and thus enables safe autonomous driving. The primary responsibilities of an engineer on this team is to help build the core infrastructure for building and storing scene specific constraints, annotations and evaluation results that are accessible reliably and efficiently at scale.
- Building scalable data pipelines that process on-road data to generate perception outputs, compute metrics and store results.
- Integrating backend data pipelines with human workflows in an efficient manner.
- Building backend data pipelines for mining and managing evaluation datasets and presenting anticipated performance metrics of the resulting models.
- Scaling backend data management systems for scenario annotations, constraints and results
- Deliver overall high quality results in close collaboration with the larger Perception, Simulation, Planning, Cloud, Tools, and other software teams
- BS / MS in Computer Science, or a related field
- 4 years of experience in building data pipelines and
- Excellent C++ / Python programming and software design skills
- Experience with storage and database management systems (SQL, no-SQL, protobuf, parquet, HDFS)
- Experience working in a cloud environment (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc)
- Distributed System design patterns (high availability, scaling, load balancing, caching, sharding etc.)
- Knowledge of Perception, 3D geometry, autonomous driving
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.