Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by what Bloomberg has called a “rock star cast” of self-driving luminaries and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
As Vehicle Platform Safety Engineer, you will be responsible for all functional safety deliverables for integrating Aurora Driver in one of autonomy capable vehicles provided by Aurora’s automotive partners.
In this role, you will:
- Lead all aspects of functional safety engagements with Aurora’s automotive partners
- Develop and maintain the Safety Plan to capture the overall safety work at the vehicle level
- Work with automotive partners to tailor safety concepts to their specific needs
- Review the technical safety concept of the vehicle platform to ensure it satisfies the functional safety concept
- Lead safety related integration and testing activities between the Aurora Driver and the autonomy capable vehicle platform
- Support the development of the safety case for autonomous vehicle
- Five or more years experience designing, developing, and validating safety critical systems per relevant safety standards (ISO 26262, IEC 61508, DO-178C, MIL-STD-882, etc)
- Experience with safety analysis techniques such as Failure mode and Effect analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Dependent Failure Analysis (DFA).
- Understanding the safety mechanism at the vehicle level and translating them into system architecture
- Experience with systems engineering requirements management tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 10 or more years experience designing, developing, and validating safety critical systems per ISO 26262 standard
- Previous experience in overseeing and ensuring the execution of activities necessary to achieve functional safety in compliance with ISO 26262
- Experience developing functional safety concepts for autonomous vehicles
- ISO26262 Certification
- Familiarity with ISO/PAS 21448
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.