Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Mountain View, CA, US
Pittsburgh, PA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Technical Program Manager - Systems, Safety, and Test Engineering.
In this role, you will
- Manage one or more of the following disciplines as a “vertical” organization for bi-weekly Agile sprint planning (Systems Engineering, Safety Engineering, Testing Engineering (both System Test and Analysis and Subsystem Testing)).
- Scope includes identifying work streams (new and existing) that should be captured in Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), and tracking performance metrics against those goals.
- Manage one or more of the Systems, Safety, or Testing Engineering as a “vertical” organization for road-mapping through major company milestones. Facilitate the planning of future Systems, Safety, and Testing Engineering OKRs.
- Manage one or more of the following “horizontal” programs including autonomous trucking, autonomous ride hailing, safety case, system and subsystem level verification and validation (V&V) testing, systems and test process development, and fault handling.
- Partner deeply with software/autonomy, systems engineering, hardware engineering, operations, legal, government regulatory, and product teams to ensure the Safety Organization’s work is aligning to broader organizational development.
- Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders, and engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Remove obstacles to maintain momentum and progress, identify gaps in communication or schedule, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities, and drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architectural level and propose technical alternatives when necessary; ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be effective.
- Support technical and strategic planning, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning, and hiring goals).
- Positions available for multiple experience levels from 1-2yr experience TPM through Senior and Staff level.
- Minimum 1-2 years experience as a Technical or Engineering Program Manager in autonomous systems, robotics, compute systems, consumer electronics, software development, or integrated HW/SW/Systems engineering environments.
- Solid track record of successfully delivering complex technical solutions on aggressive schedules.
- Strong experience in project management; practical familiarity with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and ability to apply them where best suited.
- Strong experience in Gantt schedule management.
- Experience in technical risk tracking and management.
- Familiarity with planning Objectives and Key Results across complex projects and multi-year roadmaps.
- Experience in planning and milestone tracking for new program rollouts.
- Excellent communication skills: verbal and written
- Proficient in Atlassian product suite (Jira, Confluence)
- Experience working within operations in a safety-critical field (aerospace, automotive, nuclear, oil or similar industry)
- Experience in tracking and monitoring project requirements in requirement management tools (ex. Jama)
- Proficient use of data visualization tools and ability to create program dashboards (Jira, Smartsheet, Data Studio)
- For senior level opportunities - experience in creating new programs where programs may not exist already
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.