Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all.
In this role, you will
- Take a leading role in ensuring the self-driving system is able to preserve key functionality and continue meeting safety goals in the presence of faults, failures, and functional limitations
- Review and validate complex software systems to ensure system safety
- Define test, verification, and validation plan for all software product capabilities for self driving vehicles
- Derive top-level safety goals and decompose to measurable subsystem functional and technical safety requirements
- Collaborate with software subject-matter-experts to identify necessary safety mechanisms and architecture improvements to achieve safety goals
- Define technical risk and mitigation plans for key deliverables
- Define software safety assurance plan
- Create and own product backlog for software safety team
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related discipline preferred
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in software engineering
- Strong technical background and familiarity with modern Software Development practices and designs
- Knowledge of software development, integration test and release processes.
- Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of successfully working with large, complex teams in a results-driven environment
- Experience developing and executing a product roadmap
- Ability to drive functional requirements with focus on business deliverable
- Ability to derive technical requirements from functional requirements
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and evolving priorities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience with agile/scrum frame work
- Experience with complex autonomous systems
- Working knowledge with C++ and Python
- Experience with test automation
- Experience with Machine Learning
- Experience with hardware in the loop (HIL) testing
- Experience working with products using Real Time Operating System (RTOS)
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.