Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. The primary objective of this role is to ensure quality in manufacturing and supply chain in support of the development and production of the First Light Lidar and delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. A successful candidate is data-driven, excels at complex problem solving, has a strong quality and product focused mindset, and can lead cross-functional teams to identify and eliminate quality problems, issues and risks.
In this role, you will
Create test and inspection plans based on program plans, product requirements and specifications.
- Closely collaborate with engineering and manufacturing teams to develop manufacturing test requirements, quality standards, and product quality plans to ensure products will meet requirements.
- Develop, validate, and rollout critical quality controls across production lines, in coordination with engineering and manufacturing teams.
- Effective problem solving, root cause discovery and corrective action (8D Problem Solving, 5-Why).
- Track quality performance metrics, prioritize top issues, and drive continuous improvement activities with cross-functional teams.
- Directs and manages all non-conforming product(s) and returned material authorization activities (Material Review Board).
- Assists with the development of quality objectives complimentary to organization objectives.
- Provides technical support to all manufacturing areas, locations, and customers as needed.
- Provide technical expertise and mentorship to junior-level engineers and technicians.
- Work with internal and external suppliers to establish requirements and ensure product quality.
- Coordinate the design of and/or design custom inspection and/or test fixtures and sensors for quality control.
- Identify supplier quality risks, issues and problems, and coordinate with supply chain teams to drive corrective actions at the supplier level.
- Lead and participate in initiatives to support Business and Quality objectives.
- Work on continuous improvement of quality processes and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Lead and support the qualification of new production lines and processes by utilizing FMEAs, control plans, capability analysis, MSAs, DOEs, etc.
- Support and lead the development of FMEAs to identify critical risks in design and manufacturing, and drive action to mitigate risks with cross-functional teams.
- Coordinates calibration of data acquisition, inspection and testing equipment, maintaining records and certificates.
- Investigates and resolves product complaints and quality problems in the field and in the process.
- Directs final inspectors engaged in inspection and testing activities to ensure continuous compliance of products to specifications.
- B.S. in Optics/Photonics, Physics, Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial Engineering, or related fields; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years electro-mechanical assembly operations, robotics or equivalent field experience.
- Ability to read design/wiring schematics and operate data acquisition systems for data collection.
- Excellent written and verbal communication of status and results, including writing formal reports.
- Comprehensive understanding of the quality toolbox (8D root cause analysis, control plans, and inspection tooling and techniques, etc.).
- Excellent data analysis skills, using simulation/modeling tools.
- Ability to interpret regulations and test procedures.
- Ability to operate and use diagnostic scan tools, scopes, meters, and other test equipment.
- Understanding of test equipment maintenance, calibration, upgrades and improvements
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
Desirable Qualifications (this section is optional)
- M.S. in Optics/Photonics, Physics, Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial Engineering, or related fields; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with FMCW LiDAR and/or RF transceivers.
- Experience with optical system prototyping and characterization.
- Working knowledge of Continuous Improvement, Kaizen, 5S and Six Sigma Process.
- Database and basic programming proficiencies (SQL, C++, Python, etc.).
- Experienced in ISO-9001, IATF 16949, ISO 26262.
- Familiarity with end-to-end product development of directly relevant systems.
- Experience with Linux operating systems.
- Minitab or other statistical software capabilities.
- Ability to travel to company locations in the continental U.S.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.