Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora’s Product Security team’s mission is to discover, mitigate, and prevent security risks in the software, hardware, and services developed by Aurora.
Our team is responsible for ensuring the secure design and implementation of the technology built for the Aurora Driver as well as continually improving the assurance levels of security across all of Aurora’s Products. This team is also responsible for performing technical security assessments, threat modeling, security code reviews and vulnerability testing to highlight risk and help various engineering teams and partners to improve security. We work closely with engineers across Aurora as well as 3rd party partners to design and proactively integrate initiatives to enhance security across a wide variety of software or hardware domains and technology stacks.
We are searching for an experienced Security Engineer and leader to define, build and implement security assurance frameworks and best practices throughout Aurora’s products to join us on this mission.
Job level is negotiable based on experience. Remote work is approved for US-based employees, including for post-pandemic.
In this role you will
- Perform technical security assessments and reviews, research, uncover, and reproduce vulnerabilities, design secure protocols and systems, and write tests and fuzzers to drive architecture changes
- Assess the risks across the Aurora Driver Platform and prioritize high value components (software and/or hardware) for critical and high security vulnerabilities
- Comfort employing techniques including reverse engineering, fuzzing, and static and/or dynamic analysis
- Conduct research to identify new and novel attack vectors against Aurora’s products and services
- Review, develop and document secure operational best practices, and provide security guidance for engineers and various internal and external partners
- Identify, evangelize and lead successful integration of security capabilities, components, and remediation work across Aurora
- Own relationships with Engineering teams, Vehicle Platform partners and OEMs to ensure and provide strategic direction for the highest level of security assurance for the Aurora Driver platform.
- Develop and implement the content to mentor, train, and educate Aurora’s engineering teams on secure design and secure implementation
- Advise executives in the Security organization, Software organization, and Hardware organization in order to best ensure the security of the Aurora Driver platform
- Foundational knowledge of operating system security for Linux
- Foundational knowledge of the CWE Top 25
- Ability to assess software and/or hardware components with and without full knowledge
- Ability to work well with other assessment members and engineering partners
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in one or more of the following: risk assessment, threat modeling, incident and emergency response, OS hardening, vulnerability management, pentesting, offensive security or cryptographic protocols and concepts
- Experience in vulnerability discovery and analysis, design review, and code-level security reviews
- Experience in, and technical knowledge of security engineering, computer and network security, authentication and security protocols, and applied cryptography.
- Experience with assessment, development, implementation, and documentation of a comprehensive and broad set of security technologies and processes
- Working understanding and demonstrated experience evaluating and applying automotive protocols and security standards
- Experience maintaining Security Assurance / Secure-SDLC processes and programs in an agile / waterfall environment
- Experience maintaining, building and evaluating threat models / risk assessments
- Experience with and ability to implement best practices across various security domains
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a security-specific or security-adjacent industry
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the robotics or automotive industry or equivalent
- Relevant work experience in offensive security, penetration testing or red teaming
- Experience implementing various Defence in Depth Strategies to address dynamic threats across various software and hardware stacks.
- Ability and desire to write production-quality code in C++, Golang, or Python
- Experience evaluating the security of software, hardware and services
- Foundational knowledge of embedded firmware security and hardware security, preferably in the robotics or automotive space
- Familiarity with cloud security (AWS) and infrastructure-as-code
- Familiarity with Trusted Platform Modules, HSMs, and trusted boot
- A history of giving back to the security industry via open source contributions, published papers, or conference presentations