Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Client Platform Engineer.
Within Information Technology at Aurora, the Client Platform Engineering seeks to enable every Auroran with the best technology at their fingertips to be the most enabled and secure they can be. Client Platform Engineering, or CPE, provides this enablement by delivering and managing a frictionless and secure end user computing experience. We achieve these goals through automated provisioning, integrated inventorying, logging and security. CPE is positioned in the Shared Infrastructure team in IT, where we rely on our partner team, Customer Success, to interface with the end users.
We engineer for Mac, Windows, Linux, mobile and virtual environments. We use commercial and open source configuration management systems for the endpoint provisioning and management, and also maintain the backend infrastructure to enable distributed management of systems. The ideal candidate will impact each of these with configuration management expertise, knowledge of effective security practices, and extensive experience with most of the platforms we support.
In this role, you will
- Administer and manage a fleet of Mac, Windows, Linux devices across the country
- Develop provisioning tools for rapid setup of user laptops, desktops and virtual workstations, aka “endpoints”
- Develop tools and Chef cookbooks to automate application distribution and configuration management
- Participate in the design process to architect solutions for device provisioning, package management, configuration management, and patching.
- Support the server infrastructure and development pipelines responsible for configuration management and device inventory
- Test base-level utilities and agents such as anti-virus, logging, VPN clients, and identity management systems.
- Collaborate regularly with peers and partners when integrating, standardizing, and in driving operational excellence with frontline user support.
- Collaborate with Information Security colleagues to ensure design principles and implementation practices are well aligned with security objectives and larger strategy
- Establish process and tooling for regular device patching Evaluate new tooling on an ongoing basis
- Work with Systems Infrastructure and Network Engineering teams to assure continued compatibility and operation of client devices in offices and remotely.
- 3+ years of experience with each of the following:
- Supporting client enterprise security and operations tools, development experience using at least two of the following languages: Ruby, Python, Go
- Being directly responsible configuration management with Puppet or Chef
- Securing client devices with tools such as VPN clients, UEM/MDM, anti-virus, and auditing systems
- macOS administration experience in a corporate environment
- Experience building tools for the automated provisioning of systems, managing machine and user certificates, supporting a fleet of hundreds of laptops and in package management with tools such as Munki, Gorilla, Chocolatey, Artifactory
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices including coding standards, codereviews, source control management, build process, testing and operations
- 3+ years experience managing Windows 10 and Linux
- Strong understanding of Microsoft Active Directory, group policy configuration and OS hardening techniques
- Strong understanding of Okta or other multi-factor authentication, SSO and identity management product
- Demonstrated knowledge of Zero Trust Architecture
- Development experience using at Swift, PowerShell
- Experience configuring infrastructure as code using Terraform
- Experience working in cloud environments such as GCP, AWS
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.