Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Senior Product Manager, Vehicles & Hardware.
Aurora is looking for a Product Manager who is passionate about automotive technology and hardware engineering. We are moving quickly towards launching safe self-driving vehicles and reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next. To get there, we need to design, build, and validate the self-driving system hardware and integrate it with the base vehicle platforms in partnership with OEMs.
As a product manager, you will paint a detailed picture for our engineering team, collaborating on our vision and roadmap and deriving technical and market-informed requirements for execution by Aurora’s design and engineering teams. Success in this role will accelerate our time to market and catalyze the transformational benefits of self-driving vehicles.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. This candidate will bridge the gap between world-class Autonomy Engineers and Triage Analysts to improve the performance of our Aurora driver. You advocate for users who are responsible for analyzing tests from both the real world and simulated world. You define tools and workflows that enable faster development cycles, identifying use cases for automation wherever possible. Your work builds confidence in how we think about the safety of our system and is directly supportive of Aurora’s mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving safely, quickly, and broadly.
In this role, you will
- Map technical capabilities and improvements to product or customer value (including internal software teams) to inform next generation hardware development and prioritization
- Coordinate with User Experience and Industrial Design team members to deliver physical user touchpoints across our products
- Review potential operating domain criteria (distances/speeds, climate/environment, road types, obstacles) to identify impacted hardware requirements
- Develop product-relevant vehicle platform integration requirements
- Develop strong relationships with stakeholders (both internally and externally, ie suppliers) in order to help facilitate tradeoff decision making
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of the products and projects
- Communicate team’s strategy, roadmap, plans, and priorities to stakeholders and leadership
- Meet with counterparts at vehicle OEMs, Tier 1 suppliers, and other key hardware partners to better understand their roadmaps, business models, and alignment with our vehicle product strategy
- 5+ years of product management experience or 8+ years of relevant experience
- Engineering or equivalent technical degree
- Experience in leading product development of complex systems, especially hardware and/or production vehicles
Desirable Qualifications (this section is optional)
- 2+ years’ experience in automotive product, design, or engineering
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.