Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Network Engineering Manager. The ideal candidate will establish strategies for the network engineering team to scale and support multiple environments, identify and justify targets for team growth, and manage team members between builds, operations, and development programs. They will partner with leaders in systems infrastructure, program management, Capital Builds (office and facility builds), and Information Security among several others to plan and see through all efforts to advance networking solutions throughout Aurora.
In this role, you will
- Build, lead, and manage a multi-region team of Network Engineers
- Identify and prioritize the needs of key network environments - user network, service network, and development network
- Engage with internal customers and partners to develop expectations and requirements to enable them with a high quality network experience
- Guide the team in developing network architectures and processes
- Set goals for network engineering team operations, including performance, reliability, and operational response SLA’s
- Engage with external professional service vendors supporting networking build and migration projects
- Continually explore new technology and automation opportunities
- Perform annual roadmapping and quarterly commit planning with fellow leaders
- Work closely with partner teams to understand requirements and share architectural and operational information
- 2 years management experience of a Network Engineering team or team with similar technical responsibilities
- 2 years of experience forecasting product and service acquisition and participating in a budget process
- 10 years of Network Engineering experience including design and operation of an IP network
- 5 years of IP network experience configuring BGP, OSPF or ISIS, IPSec Tunnels, and Layer 2 Protocols
- 3 years of controller-based Wireless networking experience with one or more of: Cisco, Aruba, Mist, Meraki, Ubiquiti
- 3 years of client-based VPN experience using commercial platforms such as Cisco, Palo Alto Networks, Fortinet, Juniper, or open source platforms such as OpenVPN.
- 3 years of experience in a operationally responsible role managing outage incidents along with post-mortem review processes
- Experience in a CI/CD-supported network automation environment
- Experience developing network monitoring and security infrastructures
- Experience with hybrid cloud connectivity between colocation-based POPs and public cloud interfaces
- Experience supporting a network serving end users in a hardware development space
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.