Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Mountain View, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. Our team is currently looking for a Director, Lidar Manufacturing that will help us rapidly scale our FirstLight Lidar manufacturing operations in Bozeman, MT.
In this role, you will
- Lead the team partnering with our world-class Lidar and Silicon-Photonics development team - R&D, Systems, Hardware, Electrical, Firmware, Supply Chain - throughout the development process to drive Design for Manufacturability
- Execute prototype builds of next generation FirstLight Lidars
- Develop and implement plans to scale production of the FirstLight Lidar including set-up of a new production site in Bozeman.
- Establish and implement production controls and quality standards that meet requirements for a safety critical / mission critical sensor in the Aurora Driver.
- Remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress, identify and resolve gaps in communication, schedule, and resources. Manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities, and drive results proactively.
- Develop and implement manufacturing strategies for the supply chain to optimize production quality, through-put and cost during primary sensor assembly.
- 10-15+ years experience in relevant roles, examples include: Manufacturing Engineering, HW Engineering, Quality, Supply Chain, and Production Leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing, Industrial or related) or the equivalent in experience, with evidence of exceptional ability preferred.
- Experience with manufacturing safety critical / mission critical devices.
- Prior direct, measurable impact leading teams in standing up an electronics manufacturing site.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks; ability to work closely with engineers.
- Demonstrated people management skills
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.