Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Director of Business Development. This is a unique opportunity for a business development professional to help build, grow, and execute upon Aurora’s most critical partnerships and bring this technology to market. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned professional who has demonstrated the ability to negotiate multifaceted partnerships with OEMs (or Tier 1 suppliers), logistics providers, and potential customers. This person will excel at fostering relationships, developing partnership strategies, mentoring team members, and collaborating across the organization.
In this role you will
- Manage and negotiate large, complex, deals between Aurora and automotive manufacturers (OEMs), logistics providers, and customers.
- Build and maintain relationships with Aurora’s partners, understanding the needs of the partners, and finding alignment with Aurora’s product vision.
- Work cross-functionally with engineering, product, legal, finance, and strategy teams to both close new contracts and execute upon existing relationships.
- Business development experience within a technical field or product, with a demonstrable track-record of negotiating complex commercial contracts.
- Experience working cross-functionally with technical and legal teams.
- Superb communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong quantitative skills and comfortable with creating pricing models.
- Comfortable with navigating both in-the-weeds details and high-level strategy.
- Detail oriented.
- Business development experience within a technical field or product, with a demonstrable track-record of negotiating complex commercial contract.
- Broad understanding of technical elements of self driving technologies.
- Experience with automotive, self-driving, or ride hailing industries.
- Understanding of and a passion for all areas of transportation, including self-driving cars, mobility as a service, and vehicle technology.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, physics, mathematics, or a related field.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.