Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Lidar Reliability Engineering Technician to help test and validate our FirstLight Lidar family of products.
In this role, you will
- Setup and execute reliability testing of lidar assemblies and sub-components in environmental chambers and vibration tables, In-house and at external labs
- Setup characterization tests with strain gauges, accelerometers, thermocouples, flow sensors, pressure sensors, cameras
- Prepare block diagrams of test setups, fabricate test setups, create training documentation for test setups
- Work with the engineering team to debug test setup-related issues by communicating relevant information
- Write fully descriptive test reports that include detailed test execution logs, test setup related issues and test results
- Experience fabricating mechanical fixtures using 80/20, 3D printing
- Operate lab equipment like oscilloscopes, DMM, electronic loads, programmable power supplies
- Ability to take hardware to external labs, setup, debug and monitor tests
- Familiarity with lab equipment, rapid prototyping, and mechanical-thermal testing tools (including hand tools, basic machine shop fabrication, soldering, application of thermocouples and strain-gauges)
- Experience with diagnostic tools such as programmable power supplies, oscilloscopes, multimeters
- Mechanical and thermal engineering fundamentals, with basic knowledge of electrical engineering and ability to read schematics
- Strong organizational skills with attention to details and quality workmanship
- Experience with harness building and best practices for one-off prototype test designs
- Familiarity with CAD including solid modeling and drawings (CATIA preferred)
- Experience with Lidar, opto-mechanical assemblies, optics, and/or photonics
- Experience with python scripting and implementing different HW communication protocols for testing
- Experience with using Raspberry Pi, Arduino, LabJack, prototyping with microcontrollers
- Experience with data visualization using python, matlab, sheets, or JMP
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.