Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. The Embedded Software TPM team is responsible for the planning, cross-functional collaboration, and execution of all Embedded Software development programs at Aurora. These programs focus on providing the firmware and FPGA bitstreams for the custom PCBAs, modules, and sensors that ultimately power the Aurora Driver. Embedded Software TPMs are critical for aligning Embedded Software development planning with the greater Hardware, Vehicle Systems, and Software development timelines.
In this role, you will
- Lead planning & execution of Embedded Software development programs for custom hardware modules that power the Aurora Driver. Ensure the Embedded Software development goals and timelines align with broader organizational development.
- Partner closely with the Embedded Software TLM’s and engineers to propose, implement, and iterate on development processes that enable the teams to be more efficient.
- Define dependencies and resolve conflicts related to HW design, maturity, availability, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders, and engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Participate in and contribute to Technical Design Reviews, Design Analysis, Safety Analysis, Security Analysis, and Requirements activities.
- Understand the technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary; ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be effective.
- Experience as a TPM managing Embedded Software/Firmware development for at least 1 hardware program through launch
- Experience with project management processes (Agile), roadmapping tools (Smartsheets, MS Projects), task management tools (Jira, Asana), and software release processes
- Experience with autonomous vehicles, robotics, or the automotive industry
- Experience with developing safety critical code
- Experience with hands on software development
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.