Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
The Commercial Legal team is looking for someone who has experience with global legal and procurement negotiations for deals and can handle the myriad of issues that come up in a generalist role within a fast paced startup environment. Success in this position will require applying a complex and evolving legal framework to legal issues of first impression, as well as building one of the world’s great next generation companies.
- Support business objectives related to partnerships, suppliers, operations, intellectual property, software and hardware supply, privacy, and more
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of complex commercial, procurement, technology (including agreements with complex data related issues), intellectual property, supply chain and vendor agreements
- Build positive and influential relationships with executives, teams and peers across the company and its partners
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to analyze and communicate legal risks
- JD from a top school
- Strong combined law firm and in-house experience with technology or manufacturing companies
- Strong commercial acumen and instincts combined with thorough legal skills
- Experience negotiating a variety of contracts, including complex license agreements, and agreements where data, privacy, and security is important
- Experience negotiating production supply agreements, including complex liability and indemnification frameworks
- Ability to anticipate, address and negotiate commercial agreements for a company transitioning from development to commercialization
- A proactive nature and "can-do" attitude; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many new challenges; a good sense of humor
- Proven ability to build solid, trusting and credible relationships
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Strong analytical and software skills
- Keen aptitude in problem-solving
- Self-motivated but knows when to seek further guidance or escalate
- Strong organization and project management skills
- You have experience in a high growth technology startup with heavy people operations
- You are dazzled by self-driving cars
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT'S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.