Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We are searching for a talented, motivated person to contribute to the research and development of our Lidar product family. This candidate must have the demonstrated ability to deliver results effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Work on the development, design and transfer to production of free-space optical
- subsystem(s) for FMCW lidar sensors including: collimation optics, circulation optics, and beam steering.
- 3+ years product design experience
- Design and operation of manual and automated fixturing
- Design for manufacturability, high-volume assembly, and cost reduction
- Mechanical analysis involving structural, thermal, and kinematic challenges
- Component detailing to ASME Y14.5-2009 standards with GD&T
- Enclosure sealing, humidity control, off-gassing, and cleanliness
- Electronics packaging, cable detailing, and assembly
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Material Requirements Planning (MRP) tools
- Development and execution a test matrix to validate the optical design(s) and assemblies
- Work with vendors to source components and take responsibility for material availability during prototype phase and early production in cooperation with supply chain management
- Collaboration with optical engineers on design of opto-mechanical assemblies
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Optics or related field + >5 years experience
- Experienced with mechanical design software such as SolidWorks or Kajia, > 3 years
- Experienced with optical assembly and testing in a production environment > 3 years
- Experienced in development of optical products and their transfer to production
- Well organized, detail oriented self starter in a complex environment
- Experience with electronic circuits
- Experience with scientific software such as Matlab, Python, or LabView
- Experience with laser optics
- Experience with fiber optics
- Experience with lidar
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT'S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.
- 2021 Summer Internship - Government Relations Mountain View, CA, US
- 2021 Summer Internship - IT Support Mountain View, CA, US
- 2021 Summer Internship - Sensor Characterization & Automation Mountain View, CA, US
- 2021 Summer Internship - Technical Product/Program Manager (TPM), Simulation Mountain View, CA, US