Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world's most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced Quality leader who will ensure that Aurora is delivering a consistent and reliable product to the market.
- Establish Aurora's Production and Supplier Quality Processes from product development through production ramp and ongoing operations, including Quality Control plans, execution, and continuous improvement.
- Work cross-functionally, including with Engineering, Manufacturing, Test and Supply Chain to define process parameters and criteria to ensure process capability for new product launches and ongoing changes.
- Establish quality monitoring processes to ensure performance to those parameters, and develop improvement objectives as needed in an accelerating manufacturing process.
- Lead root cause analysis and corrective action implementation in response to quality issues as they arise, including in production, in the field, or with suppliers.
- Work with key suppliers to assess manufacturing capability and quality systems, including visiting vendor facilities and observing their manufacturing environment and relevant documentation, and ensure supplier quality meets required standards during product launches and production.
- Facilitate the escalation of unresolved supplier quality issues within assigned projects and suppliers.
- Manage direct reports as operations and business requirements expand.
- Prepare for ISO or similar certifications as relevant to expanding operations.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, or Optics, or relevant real-world experience with demonstrated results.
- 5+ years of Quality Engineering and leadership experience in a manufacturing environment, preferable in the High-Tech, Optical, or Automotive spaces.
- Experience with ISO 9001 and/or ATF 16949 quality systems is strongly preferred.
- Experience in adjacent functions, including Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical, or optical Engineering, Production Management, or Supply Chain
- Knowledge of / Experience with ISO 26262
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT'S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.