The world's social network for athletes.
San Francisco, CA, US
This role is on the Strava Foundation Team, the team that builds and maintains the platform upon which the Strava backend runs.
We are a team with a diverse skill set who work together to keep Strava running smoothly, and to enable other engineering teams to develop great user-facing features. Engineers on this team get to work on a very wide variety of projects and technologies; recent projects have ranged from adopting a database proxy to changing our load balancer architecture to writing a Scala microservice that performs authentication.
You’re passionate about this opportunity because you will:
- Build, support, and own parts of the foundational technology that enables Strava to be the record of the worlds athletic activities, with 19 million weekly activity uploads and over 70 million members.
- Learn from and be mentored by more experienced engineers on your team and beyond
- Empower your engineering colleagues, providing them the tools and platform to deliver scalable, reliable, and observable products.
You will be successful here by:
- Demonstrating empathy for other engineers and thinking about how the platform enhances and enables their work.
- Being open to learning new technologies and stretching outside your comfort zone.
- Engaging in mentorship opportunities to help you grow as an engineer.
We’re passionate about you because you:
- Have a passion for the reliability and usability of what you make.
- Can build with other engineers in mind.
- Have experience working with a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Have experience with a programming language such as Ruby, Scala, Python, Java, etc.
- Have general familiarity with data storage options such as relational, noSQL, or columnar databases.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.