Pendulum is developing a range of microbiome interventions targeting a variety of human health issues, starting with metabolic diseases, to help improve human health and wellbeing.
Lead Data Scientist, R&D
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Pendulum™ is on a mission to help people improve physical and mental health by creating a new category of products that target the microbiome. We are researching, developing and commercializing a novel class of rationally-designed Live SynbioticsTM (probiotics + prebiotics) that have demonstrated clinical efficacy to treat conditions like metabolic syndrome, inflammation and neurodegeneration. Pendulum™ has created proprietary pipelines to build a unique discovery platform that identifies key, novel bacterial strains and the prebiotics that feed them.
We are a highly collaborative, cross-functional team of scientists, engineers, physicians, marketers and salespeople interested in improving human health by using the latest research from diverse fields, such as microbiology, molecular biology, high-throughput genomics, distributed computing, pharmaceutical development and nutrition. We greatly value individuals' skills in focused, transparent communication, as our team's success depends on it.
If you’re interested in building a new category of products that will help improve the lives of people globally and you love working in a cross-functional, collaborative, inspiring environment, please continue reading!
We are looking for a hands-on Lead Data Scientist working very closely with R&D. The right leader will partner with team leads across multiple disciplines, including Engineering, Manufacturing, R&D, and Clinical to collaboratively define and drive projects. You will be the expert on the end-to-end data flow and work with Lab Scientists to design their experiments, establish the data pipeline and analyze their data.
What You'll Do
- Work with Lab Scientists in the Manufacturing team to lead the design, implementation and release of quality control pipelines including genomics, flow cytometry and other molecular assays. You will define metrics to monitor the robustness of these pipelines.
- Work with the Data/Software Engineers to build and execute on a long term roadmap for internal software tools. At Pendulum, Engineers internally develop databases and the web application that Lab Scientists use to enter and analyze their data. As the Lead Data Scientist, you’ll have a crucial role in defining the requirements for these tools.
- Work with Lab Scientists on the Research side to lead lab and clinical data analysis. You will initiate and lead collaborations with academic groups to drive publications with experts in the field. You will work with Research Scientists to evaluate the viability of our strains in different conditions and characterize strains using genomics and molecular assays.
- Synthesize and present results to executives, team lead and senior staff
- Build and manage a growing team of Data Scientists/Bioinformaticians working in tight collaboration with Lab Scientists, team leads and senior staff.
- Make Pendulum a great place to work by actively supporting career development, growth, and mentoring of individuals; and by fostering a fun and inclusive team where everyone feels welcome.
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics or related fields
- Minimum of five years as individual contributor data scientist in building models and production pipelines (development, deployment and maintenance)
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques, e.g., EDA, regression analysis, hypothesis testing and ML methods
- At least 3 years hands-on industry experience with python, AWS, Docker and Unix/Linux environments using Bash, Make and related Unix tools
- Ability to lead/mentor teams on cross-functional projects
- Experience mentoring junior data scientists
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in teams and coordinate between teams to deliver projects on-time
- Strong communication skills and comfort with explaining technical concepts to non-specialists
- Plus. Strong understanding of biology and/or bioinformatics algorithms, e.g., sequence assembly
Pendulum's™ team is as diverse as a healthy microbiome. We welcome all to apply.