Reporting to the VP Controller, the Manager/Sr. Manager of Internal Controls & Compliance is responsible for developing and improving the internal controls framework and compliance at 23andMe.
Who you are
You are a leader, have strong experience with Sarbanes-Oxley standards, COSO framework, and internal audit, be detail oriented, have strong technical and communication skills, and be hands-on. You have management capabilities to communicate with and educate finance and non-finance personnel on internal controls, financial policies, and reporting requirements.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Lead and manage the process of building and enhancing the internal controls framework of 23andMe in accordance with applicable requirements based on the maturity and evolution of the company; Individual will manage activities and prioritization of activities for both internal and external resources.
- Work closely with internal resources and external auditors to successfully test the effectiveness of the internal controls.
- Evaluate and lead implementation of any new software tools for compliance; implement and maintain existing internal control compliance tools.
- Help identify internal control improvement opportunities and prioritization of each.
- Ensure policies and procedures are adhered to as regulatory changes occur to maintain compliance.
- Lead annual SOX risk assessment and formulate action plans for prioritization and remediation where necessary.
- Evaluate key risks in financial processes and propose changes in control design to address risks.
- Consult on internal control considerations during system implementation phases.
- Train Process and Control Owners.
- Advise internal stakeholders regarding Segregation of Duties rules and mitigating controls.
- Evaluate reliance and risks for financial applications and provide recommendations for inclusion in internal control compliance efforts.
- Interface with external auditors to review compliance results and to facilitate the external auditor’s assessment of internal controls over financial reporting.
- Monitor and advise process owners on action plans for remediation of deficient controls.
- Prepare written evaluations of deficiencies in operation or design of internal controls.
- Prepare periodic compliance presentations on internal controls to Executive Management, and when applicable the Board of Directors or any governance committees.
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in an appropriate field with a CPA, or equivalent designation.
- At least 8 years of hands-on work experience showing consistent progression in finance or accounting disciplines.
- Mix of professional experiences, including experience in Big 4 public accounting firms (at least 5 years) and experience at a public company .
- Expertise and experience in applying US GAAP, PCAOB standards, and adherence to SOX 404 regulations
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing internal audit projects, conducting risk assessments, operational auditing and executing Internal Control audits
- Demonstrated leadership skills, excellent written and verbal skills, and demonstrated ability to present complex issues to management.
- Ability to lead complex projects which require influence and implementation across business groups and functions.
- Attention to detail, organized, and thorough with desire for continuous improvement.
- Must be a "self-starter" with a can-do attitude and a serious desire to have a positive impact on our company.
- Strong day-to-day project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, yet function well with independent responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing internal audit projects, conducting risk assessments, operational auditing and executing Internal Control audits.
- Ability to meet stringent deadlines in a fast-paced environment; demonstrates sense of urgency and is results driven.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.