Senior Software Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Embark Trucks is a leading self-driving truck company bringing autonomous freight mainstream. We have raised $117m by partnering with Tiger Global ($70m Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30m Series B) to help grow our team and introduce our technology to the public. Currently, we move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose-built transfer hubs. We have aligned ourselves with truck manufacturers, shippers, and carriers to integrate our technology into the freight ecosystem. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous vehicles and our team is looking to grow.
The infrastructure team at Embark casts a wide net over Embark's engineering and has a broad impact across the entire stack. Infrastructure is a small team but has a major impact - managing all data engineering efforts for Embark’s petabyte-scale data lake, which powers advanced use cases like simulation, machine learning, and deep analysis of our vehicle’s performance. In addition to that, they build all of the real-time systems that enable remote monitoring of our fleet, including live streaming of video and sensor data over LTE, while also managing Embark’s machine learning infrastructure, continuous integration pipelines, vehicle software platform, and cloud security.
As a cloud infrastructure engineer, you’ll be responsible for helping architect the backend systems that make this possible.
- Take part in high-level architecture of large-scale distributed systems, promoting security, reliability and scalability.
- Oversee and ensure the security of our cloud infrastructure, data, and internal services.
- Evaluate, architect and deploy new database systems and data pipelines to enable our engineering team to gain richer insights into our data.
- Develop and implement strategies for security of our cloud infrastructure and the means by which they communicate with vehicles on the road.
- Build out systems to support compute heavy workloads, such as machine learning and simulation.
- Develop and promote monitoring systems that will be used across the company to increase observability, detect issues and improve response times to failures.
- Manage our petabyte-scale data lake.
- 3+ years managing infrastructure on a major cloud platform (AWS, GCP or Azure) for a medium to large sized company.
- Significant experience with AWS – you should know your way around all the core AWS services.
- Significant software development experience, with an emphasis on Python.
- Experience managing large Kubernetes clusters powering microservice-oriented architectures.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code frameworks such as Terraform, CloudFormation.
- Experience using configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools, such as Datadog, Sumologic, Grafana, etc.
- Experience with classical relational and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with CI/CD platforms such as Jenkins, TravisCI, CircleCI.
- A full time, competitive salary with equity
- Flexible paid vacation from the start
- 100% of the base insurance option covered for Medical, Dental, and Vision and a buy-up option for other plans
- Life insurance covered by Embark
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account & 401K Plan
- Snacks & catered lunches
- Work in a fast-growing startup revolutionizing transportation as we know it
At Embark we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
When you apply, address the application to Jacqueline and let me know why you want to join our team.
A few company highlights: