Senior Optical Engineer, Camera Sensors
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Embark Trucks is a leading self-driving truck company bringing autonomous freight mainstream. We have raised $117m by partnering with Tiger Global ($70m Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30m Series B) to help grow our team and introduce our technology to the public. Currently, we move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose-built transfer hubs. We have aligned ourselves with truck manufacturers, shippers, and carriers to integrate our technology into the freight ecosystem. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous vehicles and our team is looking to grow.
As an Optical engineer, you will be part of a camera sensors team that is responsible for the identification, development, evaluation and integration of camera modules for Embark’s self driving technology. You will be responsible for the design, characterization and integrations of lens and optical elements of the camera modules. This role will require working with third party image sensor, ISP and module vendors to deliver production quality camera modules for Embark’s self driving trucks.
- Define requirements for lens and optical elements of the camera modules for autonomous vehicles
- Identify, characterize and integrate new lens designs into camera modules
- Partner with Mechanical engineering and/or external vendors in designing optical elements (optical coatings, lens filters, light absorbing materials, ruggedization etc…) for camera enclosures
- Work with third party camera module and image sensor vendors to integrate new lens designs
- Work with lens suppliers and image sensor vendors in prototype design, evaluation and MTF testing
- Partner with cross functional teams in integrating the optics into camera modules, and analysis on image quality characteristics
- Establish QA methodologies and processes for testing image quality of camera modules in a lab environment
- Design with a focus on scalability, manufacturability, and functional safety
- BS/MS in Optics/Physics/Electrical Engineering/Imaging Science or similar degree
- 3+ years of experience in lens design, characterization and tolerance
- Experience with optical image quality characterization of the lens and camera module
- Experience with imaging test lab management, setup and implementation
- Expertise in optical design and analysis tools like Zemax, LightTools etc.
- Knowledge of Linux, Python, and software version control
- A full time, competitive salary with equity
- Flexible paid vacation from the start
- 100% of the base insurance option covered for Medical, Dental, and Vision and a buy-up option for other plans
- Life insurance covered by Embark
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account & 401K Plan
- Snacks & catered lunches
- Work in a fast-growing startup revolutionizing transportation as we know it
At Embark we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
When you apply, address the application to Dominique and let me know why you want to join our team.