Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Sr. Principal Engineer - Stream Processing
United States of America
United States of America
Job Description / Skills Required
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About The Role:
As a Sr. Principal Engineer at Confluent, you will be a pragmatic visionary taking on Confluent’s most challenging problems, someone who can translate both immediate and strategic needs into workable technology solutions. You will be a leader in the organization, a highly visible example of engineering and architectural excellence, who will establish technical standards to move the organization forward, who will be a key driver of Confluent engineering values across the team, and who will identify and help mentor future technical leaders in the organization. You will be a leader outside of the organization in technical communities bringing a strong following and technical network and be an external face of Confluent Engineering in the industry.
For this specific role, we are looking for an experienced engineer, who will define the software architecture and influence the solution and business strategy to build out our next-generation enterprise-grade, cloud-native stream processing engine. Here are examples of some of the challenges and motivation behind the work we’ve taken on in recent years:
We intend to be the world's best, fastest, and most complete stream processing service built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come join us on the journey!
Who You Are:
- Smart, humble, and empathetic
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and put team’s and company’s interests first
- Driven and excited about challenges of a fast-paced, innovative software startup environment
What You’ll Do:
- Think through the long term product and technical vision for delivering a cloud native stream processing engine delivered as a service on all public clouds, including supporting user defined processing functions, truly usage based billing models, viable cost models, and more.
- Design and implement new stream processing operators, including making extensions to the SQL language to incorporate streaming concepts in a consistent and intuitive way.
- Improve the performance, scalability, and elasticity of core stream processing technology like Kafka Streams.
- Interact with the Apache Kafka and the ksqlDB communities to provide technical guidance and thought leadership in the stream processing space.
- Deliver high impact to the business by driving important technical initiatives in areas comprising (but not limited) to operational improvements, stability, reliability, quality, developer productivity, architectural hygiene, major component refactor, etc. across organizational boundaries.
- Build and implement engineering quality standards, design principles, architectural maturity, resiliency and operational gold standards across Confluent.
What We're Looking For:
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, highly available, low latency, high quality systems
- Experience with architecture, design and development of large scale platforms
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in large scale systems engineering or distributed systems
- Experience driving complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
- Experience playing a visionary leadership role within a large organization
- Experience working in a complex, service oriented software development.
- Experience working on stream processing or CEP engines is a plus.
- Experience working on SQL query engines is a plus.
- Over 10 years of experience in delivering scalable software solutions
- Over 5 years of experience in building streaming systems
- Over 5 years of experience in building distributed cloud services
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.