Confluent provides the streaming platform that enables enterprises to maximize the value of data.
Senior Manager, Revenue Accounting Operations
Mountain View, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the role:
The Senior Manager, Revenue Accounting Operations plays a key role in Confluent’s revenue recognition and order to cash process. You will lead the Revenue Accounting Operations Team and will be an active business partner with Sales Ops, FP&A, Professional Services, Technical Revenue, Accounts Receivable and many other teams. In this role, you will ensure the accuracy of our revenue recognition and commissions accounting results in compliance with ASC 606, ASC 340 and our internal accounting policies, champion adoption of SOX controls and improvements thereto, and spearhead the evolution of Revenue Accounting Operations and adjoining functions into the future as Confluent scales for continued growth. You will also be involved in the design, setting and updating of revenue policies as well as reviewing and approving certain revenue and commissions accounting policies.
The ideal candidate is an experienced CPA with at least 7 years of progressively responsible experience at either a Big 4 public accounting firm or a publicly traded, high-tech organization with a minimum of 3 years in a revenue specific role. You should have experience from a global, growing software company that has on-premise software revenue and SaaS.
This position will be based in Mountain View, CA and will report to the Director of Revenue.
- Manage and lead the global revenue close and reporting process, including the review and approval of journal entries, reconciliations, fluctuation analysis, and other various forecast and reporting deliverables
- Play a critical role, in collaboration with FP&A and other teams, in the Company’s quarterly revenue forecasting process
- Thorough management and training of the Revenue Accounting Operations team, ensure the Company’s revenue recognition and commissions accounting results are accurate and in compliance with ASC 606, ASC 340 and our internal accounting policies
- Review and provide thought leadership on revenue accounting policies and memos maximize revenue results or the efficiency of the team
- Propose and lead through to completion significant process improvements, including automations and system implementations, affecting Revenue Accounting Operations
- Mentor, train and develop a growing Revenue Accounting Operations Team currently consisting of one Revenue Manager, two Senior Revenue Accountants and one Revenue Accountant.
- Participate in the development of internal controls and SOX adoption efforts, and ensure Sarbanes-Oxley requirements are met for relevant areas
- Act as a subject matter expert in accounting for usage-based SaaS contracts as well as on-premise term licenses, related professional services and training
What We’re Looking For:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience at either a Big 4 public accounting firm or a global, publicly traded high-tech organization with a minimum of 3 years in a revenue role
- Experience in a leadership role in revenue accounting operations at a publicly-traded company
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, primarily revenue recognition (ASC 606) as it applies to on-premise software revenue and SaaS, and ASC 340 as it applies to deferred commissions
- Attention to detail and experience multitasking and prioritizing to deliver impact in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills, including the ability to research accounting literature and simplify complex situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills (oral and written) and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels at the company
- Strong Excel skills
- Experience using Netsuite and Netsuite ARM preferred, experience with other revenue accounting systems also desired
- CPA certification or equivalent practical experience
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.