Senior Structural Dynamics Engineer
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Embark Trucks is a leading self-driving truck company bringing autonomous freight mainstream. We have raised $117m by partnering with Tiger Global ($70m Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30m Series B) to help grow our team and introduce our technology to the public. Currently, we move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose-built transfer hubs. We have aligned ourselves with truck manufacturers, shippers, and carriers to integrate our technology into the freight ecosystem, pursuing a business model where fleets own and operate our trucks. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous vehicles and our team is looking to grow.
As a Senior Structural Dynamics Engineer at Embark Trucks, you will play a key role in helping us design the next generation of self-driving trucks. Working alongside the systems and design engineers you will create, modify, and maintain structural finite element models of components and systems to help inform the requirements and design direction of the vehicle. You will be the domain expert in structural and dynamics analysis (modal, sine, transient, random vibration, acoustic, shock, multi-body dynamics), system test, data correlation, and model validation. The ideal candidate combines superb technical, research, and analytical capabilities with a demonstrated ability to get the right things done quickly and effectively. Someone who loves to innovate, solve hard problems, and build world-class hardware will feel right at home in this role.
- Perform static and dynamic structural analysis using commercial software (NASTRAN, FEMAP, ANSYS, etc)
- Generate unit level/subsystem dynamic test criteria; random vibration and shock test specifications.
- Select proper sensor and data acquisition systems for capturing dynamic data.
- Partner with hardware teams to qualify components and sub-assemblies to dynamic environments.
- Execute design, analysis, and validation of new mechanical components and systems with a wide variety of material compositions (e.g., metals, composites, additive, or other complex multi-material structures).
- Assist in redesign and optimization of structures and systems not meeting load & environment requirements
- Perform analyses using commercial and in-house codes as well as write new simulation code
- Bachelor's degree or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related degree, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in the design and structural/dynamics analysis of complex structures
- Working knowledge of structural analysis and test, including a fundamental understanding of strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms
- Experience with data processing and analysis in Python and MATLAB
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, communication, and documentation skills
- Clear evidence of passion, innovation, and creativity.
- A full time, competitive salary with equity
- Flexible paid vacation from the start
- 100% of the base insurance option covered for Medical, Dental, and Vision and a buy-up option for other plans
- Life insurance covered by Embark
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account & 401K Plan
- Snacks & catered lunches
- Work in a fast-growing startup revolutionizing transportation as we know it
At Embark we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.