Senior Compute System Engineer
San Francisco, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Embark Trucks is a leading self-driving truck company bringing autonomous freight mainstream. We have raised $117m by partnering with Tiger Global ($70m Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30m Series B) to help grow our team and introduce our technology to the public. Currently, we move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose-built transfer hubs. We have aligned ourselves with truck manufacturers, shippers, and carriers to integrate our technology into the freight ecosystem, pursuing a business model where fleets own and operate our trucks. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous vehicles and our team is looking to grow.
As a Senior Compute System Engineer, you will be part of the hardware platform team that is responsible for architecting and delivering a high-performance compute platform for Embark’s self-driving software stack. You will be working with the compute system team in making architectural decisions on centralized vs distributed computing and implement software tools to monitor and deliver maximum performance. This role will require working with third-party processor vendors and compute system manufacturers in building a production-level compute system.
- Analyzed compute system requirements and workloads. Identify system bottlenecks (I/O, Memory, CPU, scheduling, GPU, etc)
- Partition workloads across a variety of compute systems (CPU, GPU, ISP/VPU, Accelerators)
- Optimize resource allocation through the use of scheduling and hypervisors
- Own the networking stack for a distributed compute architecture
- Ingest high bandwidth links from a variety of sensors and datalinks (CAN, Ethernet, GMSL, FPDLink)
- Partner with the software team in developing and integrating kernel and sensor drivers
- Work with timing systems (PPS, PTP)
- Use or develop tools for profiling and debugging compute workloads (CPU, GPU, Network, timing, etc)
- Root cause compute failures and performance
- BS/MS in Electrical/Computer Engineering or similar degree
- 5+ years of experience in working with advanced compute systems, including CPUs, GPUs, VPUs, DSPs, memory systems, accelerators, and interconnects
- Experience with real-time safety-critical Linux (QNX, VXWorks)
- Experience with visual compute platforms such as Nvidia AGX, Intel Movidius, Ambarella
- Familiarity with safety-critical engineering
- Deep understanding of Linux kernel and networking stack
- Software development experience with C/C++ and Python
- Familiarity with CAN, Ethernet, FPDLink, GMSL, PPS, PTP
- Experience with compute systems in autonomous driving applications is a plus
- A full time, competitive salary with equity
- Flexible paid vacation from the start
- 100% of the base insurance option covered for Medical, Dental, and Vision and a buy-up option for other plans
- Life insurance covered by Embark
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account & 401K Plan
- Snacks & catered lunches
- Work in a fast-growing startup revolutionizing transportation as we know it
At Embark we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
When you apply, address the application to Dominique and let me know why you want to join our team.