Bird is a shared electric scooter company.
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
We are looking for a resourceful and motivated tax director to join our fast growing finance and accounting team. This position will report into the Corporate Controller and lead the Bird tax team as we navigate maturing our global business and implementing thoughtful tax strategies. The ideal candidate will have experience in both domestic and international tax, state and local tax issues, M&A transactions, and high growth companies. The candidate needs to partner with finance, accounting, legal, the business, third party service providers and others to lead the tax department.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast growing, industry leading startup. This person will have tremendous impact and exposure across the organization as we grow the tax department.
- Lead and manage the global tax team inclusive of employees and third party service providers. Scale the team efficiently to be able to manage a rapidly evolving business
- Lead the assessment, prioritization and communication of strategic tax planning initiatives commensurate with contemporaneous reviews of tax developments and legislation. Enhance the presence of the tax department within the CFO organization
- Possess an ability to distill complex tax issues into key messages and insights. Communicate clearly and concisely
- Develop strong business partnerships and credibility with colleagues and the industry. Work cross functionally on a variety of tasks inclusive of M&A, entity expansion, strategic transactions and other initiatives. Build and strengthen the relationships with other individuals and groups within the Company to ensure the Tax Department is effectively serving our business partners
- Identify and execute opportunities for process improvements and efficient use of resources within the global organization as they affect tax planning and structuring. Maintain effective deployment of process, technology and data to optimize the impact of the tax function
- Mature the tax provision process and related US GAAP tax reporting processes
- Mature the income tax return and compliance processes, inclusive of audits
- Provide support over indirect taxes such as sales/use tax, property tax and VAT, including the compliance process, provision/accounting, and any associated audit process, including negotiations of audit settlements
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Accounting. Master’s Degree in Business Taxation preferred
- JD and/or CPA preferred
- Ten+ years of related experience with at least 5 years in a public accounting firm
- Significant experience managing tax professionals
- Experience with ERP systems
- Must have a demonstrated hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment
- International tax experience
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.