Glossier Inc. is building the future beauty company in collaboration with its customers.
Glossier is a digital-first beauty company on a mission to inspire everyone to find joy and confidence in their personal beauty style. We create physical, digital, and offline experiences inspired by our community that foster connection, inspire a sense of belonging, and invite people to participate in Glossier. With our stores, we’re creating an entirely new kind of beauty retail experience. Customers don’t visit Glossier to simply to transact—they come to immerse themselves in our brand, explore our curated portfolio of products, and gather and connect with others.
Our retail HR representatives will help drive our people-first employee experience philosophy rooted in authenticity, integrity, inclusion, equity, and empathy. As the HR Generalist, you are an experienced people advocate with a hospitality mindset, who fosters and maintains a safe, equitable, and inclusive environment for the store team. HR Generalists will work in partnership with our Retail and People teams to guide a people strategy that supports Glossier’s inclusive and community-minded approach to beauty. This includes creating hiring strategies and tactics, developing retail HR processes and policies, fostering a welcoming culture driven by inclusivity, and supporting store leaders as they build and manage their teams. This role will be store-based and the main HR representative on-site for the store team.
Not new to the Glossier team? We welcome your application! Many of our Corporate Retail team members have joined within the last year and we would love to hear from you to get to know you (or get reacquainted). Please submit your candidacy for consideration!
As the HR Generalist, you will be fully immersed in the development and support of the store’s employee culture, with direct impact to the employee experience and an indirect impact to the customer experience. Performance expectations include but are not limited to the following:
- Support an inclusive and equitable culture and uphold our Code of Conduct and commitment to a work environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, bullying, and intimidation.
- Develop and support a welcoming work environment while promoting and participating in regular equity, diversity, and anti-racism training.
- Promote a culture of trust and inclusivity amongst employees, maintaining open lines of communication across all levels.
- Foster an employee culture of camaraderie and collaboration, modeling and enforcing standards of professionalism and respect.
- Partner with the store leadership team to proactively shape talent priorities to align to our long-term business strategy and evolving needs.
- Coach and develop store leadership to be effective and inspiring leaders:
- Deliver a spectrum of strategic and tactical HR support and programs aligned with Glossier’s business initiatives.
- Partner with managers to offer practical advice and guidance in-line with current legislation.
- Drive the store’s recognition initiatives, fostering teamwork and fun— joy is our language!
- Build and maintain a monthly calendar of employee events aiming to reward store teams and strengthen employee engagement and morale.
- Develop in-house recognition initiatives that focus on elements like moments of surprise and delight, milestone celebrations (e.g., birthdays, anniversaries), storewide performance recognition (e.g., plan achievement), and other fun events.
- Establish connections with local non-profit organizations to develop and execute programs benefiting the community, in collaboration with store team.
- Participate in the store's MOD (Manager on Duty) program, completing at least 2 shifts per week.
- Maintain FOH and BOH presence, completing a minimum of three (3) walkthroughs per week to ensure open and ongoing communication with all store team members.
People Programs & Processes:
- Work alongside our People Operations team to roll out regular cadence of HR programs (e.g. performance reviews, compensation planning).
- Partner with the People Operations and Training teams on onboarding and offboarding processes and ensure the completion of training programs.
- Partner with the People team to contribute to and implement Glossier's retail people strategies, tracking progress over time and communicating accordingly.
- Build and manage processes and solutions for specific operational needs including store policies, reporting, time management, and record keeping.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the HR reporting, resolution, and appropriate escalation of all employee-related issues.
- Conduct timely investigations, partnering with the People team as needed, on all employee relations matters, leading these with confidentiality, trust, compliance, and empathy.
- Proactively address and represent the needs of the store team to the People and leadership teams in HQ.
- Partner with our Recruiting team to develop inclusive hiring and interviewing processes and ensure the store is appropriately staffed with diverse, best-in-class teams.
- Develop an ongoing pipeline of potential candidates, sharing best practices with leadership teams, to support the collective talent acquisition efforts (e.g., understanding the local retail market to identify potential talent, developing a strong online network, and participating in recruiting events and fairs).
- Establish an open and productive line of communication with the Head of People, Retail to maintain consistent flow of information between the store and HQ.
- Partner with the Legal team to ensure compliance with all employment regulations.
- Maintain an HR calendar that tracks people programs, promotional events, training initiatives, cultural events, and other noteworthy items to be shared with the teams.
- Participate in standup meetings, providing timely updates on HR programs and initiatives to the store team.
- Manage administrative processes for store employees (e.g., payroll, upkeep of communication boards, maintenance of communication portal).
- Adapt and implement people programs and processes including annual resource planning, organizational design, talent development and change management efforts.
- Manage Employee Engagement programming (surveys), encouraging maximum participation in order to collect meaningful feedback that will ultimately inform store people strategies and execution.
- Minimum of 5 years of HR experience, with at least 3 in a supervisory or managerial capacity, supporting exempt and hourly employees.
- Proven ability to foster and support a positive, inclusive, diverse, and highly collaborative employee culture.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the development of capable, high-performing teams and investing deeply in the growth of managers and team members.
- An advocate for all members of the team, promoting inclusion and belonging always.
- Experience handling sensitive employee concerns and investigations, in an expeditious, detailed-oriented, and empathetic manner.
- Demonstrated ability to show empathy and understanding while still driving action.
- A true collaborator in nature, driven by the power of teamwork, who thrives in group settings.
- Experience in the design and implementation of scalable HR programs aiming to promote and retain best-in-class teams.
- Experience leading people operations processes, including onboarding and offboarding, performance reviews, benefits orientation, and engagement surveys.
- Highly skilled working in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment, demonstrating flexibility to the ever changing employee and business needs.
- Highly adaptable with an impeccable ability to multitask.
- Patient, open-minded, and can troubleshoot with ease.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and experienced in delivering information in a clear, concise, and structured manner.
- Familiarity with federal and state labor laws.
- Schedule flexibility to work some weekends and holidays required.
- Experience in training content development and facilitation a plus.
- Experience in retail, hospitality, or customer service operations a plus.
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.