Aurora delivers the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly.
Pittsburgh, PA, US
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
In this role, you will
- Develop operational, functional, logical, and physical architectural models to represent multiple standardized architectural viewpoints.
- Identify and capture key properties and elements of the system in a durable way, such that the architectural products do not become obsolete.
- Use architectural concepts to maximize the reuse of existing system elements.
- Determine multiple design and implementation alternatives from the architecture, assessing such alternatives based on all identified constraints, and selecting the most suitable options for further design.
- Facilitate a cross-functional project team across systems, safety, hardware and software in the synthesis of design solutions.
- Identify synergies and emergent properties in the evolution of an autonomous vehicle architectural design, such that the inclusion of derived functions, subsystems, components, and environmental constraints are within acceptable design limits.
- Constantly evaluate and implement a tailored MBSE approach that is compatible with the AV industry demands and meets needs of all stakeholders.
- Have expert level command of MBSE tools such as MagicDraw-Cameo Systems Modeler, Rhapsody, Enterprise Architect, etc., and be familiar with team based use and configuration of such tools.
- Use modeling in development, validation, and regression testing of safety related and/or mission critical applications.
- Participate in, and contribute to requirement formulation, design reviews, code reviews, testing, and project planning
- Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, or a related specialized area or field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) and a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences, including customers, OEM partners, engineering peers, and executives.
- Building models and constructs for sophisticated automation, robotics, vehicles, and/or other large scale cyber-physical systems
- E.g., SAM, OPM, FFBD, IDEF0, DSM, DoDAF, STAMP
- Experience in implementation of an MBSE framework in an R&D or interdisciplinary environment
- Strong proficiency in SysML
- MBSE Training and Certification
- Working knowledge of the architectures and designs of Autonomous Vehicles, automotive infrastructure or similar complex electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience in the architecture, design or development of autonomous systems
- Experience with machine learning algorithms
- Knowledge of standards based, certifiable code development (DO-178 DAL, ISO26262 ASIL, MC/DC, etc.)
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.